New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Processor board is it a S or S+?  (Read 9523 times)

Offline ControlledChaos

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ControlledChaos New User has no influence.
  • I think therefore I'am.....I think?
Processor board is it a S or S+?
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
Hello everyone. I got home one night and what was sitting in my  living room but a....slot machine? My girlfriend said I needed a Winter Project. I didn't know anything about slots so a Googling I went. I found NLG and I'm glad I did! First thing I need to know is what board is this? I think this Jokers Wild machine is 1988 vintage but not sure. I took a guess at an "S". I hope you guys can I identify the board and I'll be my new Winter project in no time! Thanks

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Processor board is it a S or S+?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:59:34 AM »
Welcome to  :nlg-logo: .  That is a S slot MPU.  What kind of problem are you having with the machine?  There's a bunch of smart folks here that can help you get it going again. 

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
Thank you Tilt for the quick reply. Tonight if I don't run out of time I'm putting in a new battery a Tadiran 3.6v lithium currently measuring 3.673vdc. I had to put a new Reset switch  in and a new spade lug on the handles lockout solenoid.Everything else looked good,no blown fuses or burnt wires. The old battery only had .9vdc on it. So at this point I would like to know what startup protocol do I use and would the low battery voltage harm any chip memory? I have planned to put the battery on the  MPU,put everything back in place. Turn the power switch on,close and latch the door and then apply power to the slot thru a switchable outlet strip.Anything else I need to do or change in this startup procedure? Thanks again for your help, I really like this site and have made a contribution thru paypal.

Now to put the battery in and hit the sack..

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Hello everyone. I got home one night and what was sitting in my  living room but a....slot machine? My girlfriend said I needed a Winter Project. .....

That gf is a keeper, I like the way she thinks!!
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
It sounds like you've done a good job of inspecting things.  The low battery voltage will not damage the CMOS RAM memory, but it will lose the data it was storing.  After you reassemble everything you can power it up with the internal power switch and the door open.  You will probably get a 61 error code displayed in the winner paid display.  If so, then press and hold the self test button for two seconds, it should advance to 61 1, then close the door and turn the jackpot reset key switch. This will initialize the machine and  it should come up and be ready for you to put some coins in.  If you run into problems or have other error codes displayed post back here and we'll help you with them.  The new battery will last another 10 years or so, you won't have to worry about changing it again for a long long time.

Thanks for the contribution, it's what helps keep this place here.  Hope you enjoy your machine, watch out, before you know it there will be another one next to it, and then another, and another.....

Edited to add:  Not sure if S machines advance to 61-1 or not after pressing the self test button, S+ machines do.  It may not, I can't remember and the manual doesn't say anything about it.  If it doesn't, just close the door and see if it's ready to play.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:11:50 AM by Tilt »

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:30 PM »
Bummer! Well I did what you said but the only thing  that happened was the service light and florescent front lights came on and the reels locked tight but the self test light for 2 seconds and reset switch didn't do anything. I didn't see a door optics or interlock. So are their any test points I can try for voltage without taking the MPU out? Thanks.
I went ahead a took the MPU out and started checking the header for the right voltages. I think I'm getting close. I had 8vac which would give the stepper motors low level power. They made some noise and went stiff. I did not have 24vac. Measuring at  J4 pins 9 and 5 gave me 1 volt. This is where I gotta sleep but I think its either the fuse holder or the xfmr taps. More to come...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:45:42 AM by ControlledChaos »

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
You're making progress.  S machines don't have optics, but they do have a door switch, check out the photo.  You can pull the plunger out on the switch and the machine will think the door is closed.  That's not your problem though, the missing 24VAC is.  I pulled my F1 fuse and it acts like yours, lights, stiff reels, but no displays.  It should be easy to trace down the fault, nothing but a fuse/holder wiring, and a transformer.

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
Today I'm getting confused. Tried the startup again ,same symptoms .So got to checking the voltage at 24vac fuse. Both wires on the fuse holder measure 13vac to ground but 26vac when I touch the 24vac return at xfmr lug 8. I then tried J4 to measure 24vac at pins 5,7 (24vac return) and pins 9,11 (24vac Hot) but only read 3 vac between them. The door switch feels like its making/breaking contact and the only wires at the door latch are a 2 header female with 1 wire blk/pur and the other one green. So I'm not sure where I'm losing voltage at or if 13vac to gnd is correct. Some of the wiring had some pretty bad kinks in it. I have cut the ty-wraps and will rewrap them at a later date, looking for broken wire. So far I can't find anything wrong. Any suggestions..and Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:59:33 PM by ControlledChaos »

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
The 13VAC in reference to GND is correct.  The 24VAC is center-tapped and the center tap is grounded, so you will read 13VAC on the hot and return in reference to ground.  From the hot (transformer lug 6) to the return (transformer lug 8 ) you should measure 24VAC.  With the power off, check for continuity between transformer lug 8 and J4 pins 9 & 11, it should read 0 ohms.  If so , you know the 24VAC hot is good, and the fuse/holder is good as well.  Next check center tap transformer lug 7 to J4 pins 1,2,3,4,6.  Lastly check the 24VAC return transformer lug 8 to J4 pin 5 & 7  All of them should read 0 ohms.

The door switch isn't safety interlock, it's a logic switch for the processor.  Opening and closing it will not effect your 24VAC going to the processor board at J4.

Edited to change lug 8) to lug 8
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:52:31 PM by Tilt »

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks again Tilt, I'm on it after dinner and I'm a night owl anyway so into Sunday morning I go. Apprieciate your continued help!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Maybe not an immediate problem, but it looks like your coin comparitor is missing the sample coin (a quarter or quarter token). Your comparitor isn't the same one I have but it doesn't look like there is a coin in yours. I think this can cause a tilt or error on some machines that sense if a sample coin is not in the machine.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:18:42 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 06:40:21 AM »
Thanks! Here a pic of mine.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 07:37:47 AM »
 :cool_thumb_up:

Was there a coin in it in your earlier picture of the door and I missed it?

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
Hey Tilt, ya maybe a little. Here's my before and after pics.Thanks for your guys help. I've been in electronics a long time it is nice to explore another avenue and have help along the way.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
Were you able to figure out the problem with the missing 24VAC?

Offline 65ImpalaSS

• Reputation Power: 4
  • 65ImpalaSS New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
That game is very similar to the S game I just got a couple of months ago.  All mine needed was a new battery and a quarter in the comparitor.

Good luck getting your machine up and running.

Jeff

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. My work schedule has gotten  busy but I did find a broken grn/wht wire in one of the wiring harness. I fixed it but it made no difference. I do have Tilt's instructions posted right on the machine and will follow the xfmer continuity loop first chance I get. If I don't get back right away you guys have a Happy Thanksgiving!  :waving_flag: :waving_flag:

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »
Hi all. This is my 4th post to see if this makes it the screen. I have tried to upload a pic some and a description but when I click  'Post' the screen goes white and thats all I ever see until I turn off the browser and restart the mac. When I go back to the post, to see if it was posted, it wasn't. So I'll stop right here, attach no pic, hit 'Post' and see if just text will post...later

Offline kb8yrw

• Reputation Power: 5
  • kb8yrw New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »
I bought a Double diamond s+ last weekend and it was doing exactly the same thing you are describing. Even the strange or missing 24v. I found a few quarters under the MB and once they were out it seemed to measure normally. It never blew a fuse. Even when I got the 24v all it would do it light up the door lights no error codes reset did nothing. Someone on the board here suggested it may need a clear. I did not have a clear chip but I did have another SS chip that came with the game. I put the chip in booted it up and got an error code 61 hit the reset got a ding then a 61.1. I closed the door hit the reset key and the display went blank for about 5 seconds. Then the game came to life and the reel spun up. The game has been working perfectly for the last week. Not being one to leave things alone I put the original chip back in. Went through the reset procedure with the 61 codes and it still works perfectly. So maybe all yours needs is a clear. Maybe taking the chip out  cleared mine. I'm a total noob but like you have an electronics background. These guys on here will get you going.
In the end the one with the most toys wins!

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »
Thanks for the added info. I have checked the board for quarters and shorts and cleaned it thoroughly with contact cleaner. As for chips, that seems far away yet.Here's a pic of main board showing all chips that can be swapped out for others.I know nothing of what reel and set chips I would need.It's interesting to delve into new electronics projects and once my work slows down I should be able to devote time back here.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal