New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Processor board is it a S or S+?  (Read 9524 times)

Offline ControlledChaos

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ControlledChaos New User has no influence.
  • I think therefore I'am.....I think?
Re: Processor board is it a S or S+?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 01:36:36 AM »

IGT SLOT MACHINE TROUBLESHOOTING LOG12/20/2014
Continuity testing. J4 Header Note pin 1 is one the upper top left as you look it the front pinholes. So across the top are pins 1-15. Pin 16 starts on lower left and goes 16-29.
XFMR CHECK
LUG 8 to 6 measures 26.4 vac
         8 to 7 measures 13.2 vac
         6 to 7 measures 13.2 vac
Voltage Check at xfmr lugs and J4 pins.
Lu6 (24vac HOT) to J4 pins 5,7 (24vac RETURN) Should this measure Lug 6 26.4vac to (pins 5,7 (24vac RETURN). Lug 7 (24vac CT) to J4 pins 5,7(24vac RET) should read 13.2vac and should Lug 8 (24vac RET) to J4 pins 5,7(24vac RET) measure 0 vac?
                    Lug 6 to J4 pin 5 = .2vac                            Lug 6 to J4 pin 7 = 3.9vac   Should it be 26.5vac?
                          7 to J4 pin 5 = .5vac                                  7 to J4 pin 7 = .9vac     Should it be 13.2 vac?
                          8 to J4 pin 5 = 1.8vac                                 8 to J4 pin 7 = 2.1vac   Should it be 13.2 vac?
Lug6 (24vac HOT) to J4 pins 9,11(24vac HOT)
  Lug 6 to J4 pin 9 = 22.2 vac                               Lug 6 to J4 pin 11 = .1vac    should this be 0vac?
        7 to J4 pin 9 = 9.0 vac                                       7 to J4 pin 11 = 13.2vac} this is OK
        8 to J4 pin 9 = 4.2vac                                        8 to J4 pin 11 = 26.2vac} this is OK

Something is not right here as J4 pins 5,7 (24vac RETURN) are supposed to be tied together as are J4 pins 9,11 (24vac HOT). Don’t know what’s causing these wired voltage readings. Each reading was taken 3 times to make sure I got the same readings each time.

Continuity checks were not right either.
1) Continuity check between Lug 6 to J4 pins 9,11 has no reading. Pins 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,15,16,17 showed continuity.
2) Continuity check between Lug 7 to J4 pins 1,2,3,4,6 read 0 ohms. Pins 7,8,15,16,17 also read continuity.
3) Continuity check between Lug 8 to J4 pins 5,7 read 0 ohms. Pins 7,8,15,16,17 also showed continuity.
Well that’s where I’m at. Not sure what to check next. Anyone got some ideas?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:19:54 PM by ControlledChaos »

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
You have an open on your +24VAC line between Transformer Lug 6 and J4 pin 9/11.  This is indicated by your voltage reading of 22.2 VAC between Lug 6 and J4 pin 9/11 (should be 0) and by your continuity test showing no continuity between Lug 6 and J4 pins 9/11.  The most logical place for the open would be the fuse (blown), incorrect fuse cap, broken or cracked fuse holder, or a loose/broken connection on the fuse holder.  Carefully inspect it and see if you find anything out of place.  Check the fuse for continuity and if good check the fuse holder for continuity (with the fuse installed of course). 

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 06:05:11 AM »
Well I had a chance to work on my 'Joker's Wild' s slot and now it's getting confusing. I was going along with the Wiring Schematic in the book Slot Machines The Complete Service Manual for the S Slot series and the S+ by Marshall Fey. I set up my repair logs using this information but was very surprised at what I found.
My main problem has been no 24vac at J4 pins 9,11. So after checking the fuse holders and xfmr wiring I started on the J4 harness.The 1st pic is of the J4 harness as it's laid out in the book. The second pic is a cropped shot showing the revisions I found when taking continuity checks on the J4 harness. Harness pinholes that showed NC (pinholes 21,22,27,29) had wires in them and pinholes that showed them as having wires in them didn't (pinholes 11,14,15,26,).The biggest difference was J4 pin 9. The schematic shows it being tied to Lug 6 (24vac HOT) and 9,11 tied together. Not so. After cutting the ty-raps on the wiring harness and tracing wires I found that pin 9 was tied to a panel connector block that has nothing going into it. Pin 11 didn't even have a wire in it. The other pics show where pin 9 went. Pretty strange. I'll have to find out other stuff about this machine, but no wonder it wouldn't power up! Any ideas you guys have next will be considered..Thanks! I'll have the other pics on another reply so I don't exceed the file limits.
~ Rick

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
and here are the other pics.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
Well I had a chance to work on my 'Joker's Wild' s slot and now it's getting confusing. I was going along with the Wiring Schematic in the book Slot Machines The Complete Service Manual for the S Slot series and the S+ by Marshall Fey.

That's the same schematic I've been looking at.  Perhaps it's not correct?  I will try to make some time in the next couple of days to tear into my machine and see if I can trace it out to see where things are going.

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
Thanks again Tilt. Im trying to make good documentation and will take a lot of pics of every aspect of this slot and write out and print my findings. I was surprised to find a white/blu wire at pin9,and that it went to socket with nothing connected to it! It looks the org/grn wires are for the 24vac HOT. I'm trying to identify all wires by color and function and again thanks for your help. I realize an S slot is hard to find parts for but this is for a friend who can't get out much and helps her to pass time and has sat in her garage for over a year.Here's some pics of my current of my work area you might like.
~Rick

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
at this point I would check the actual traces on the board to see if the pins actually go to the components. According to the schematics, pins5/7 go to the anode of CR14 and to one side of D3 and to pin 5 of J3.  pins 9/11 go to the anode of CR13 and the other side of D3 and to pin 6 of J3. if these are correct then the 24vac from #6 on the transformer has to go to pins 9/11 on J4 and #8 has to go to pins 5/7 on J4.  otherwise the machine will not have the 24vac to provide any of the logic power to run the game.   

I think your transformer wiring is all screwed up (wrong wiring on the wrong terminals)  and the plug may have been tampered with. I find that hard to believe since those connections are not easy to interchange.

Your best bet is to find someone with a S machine and have them verify the correct color wiring on the transformer and then J4.  what color wire is on the handle solenoid??

Has this machine ever worked??  do you know the history of it??

Jim
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:28:58 PM by Jim »

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
OK, I think I solved all the mysterious readings.  You were counting the connectors pins incorrectly.  The odd number pins are on one side, and the even number pins on the other.  Opposite of the way you would count IC pins.  I've attached some pictures from mine that will help illustrate it. 

Your work area looks more comfortable than mine, warmer too I'll bet!  My S slot is upstairs in my unheated detached garage.  Figured I'd better get at it today, supposed to be colder tomorrow....brrr!

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
Tilt,   glad you have a machine,  that removes all the mystery!  now we have to wait and see what happens when the board in put in play.  If you ever need S decals for the reel glass let me know, I have a ton of them.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »
Hey Guys. Thank you Tilt looking over my documentation and pointing out the error in assumption on the pinouts.I really like NLG and appreciate everyones help. As to the history of the machine I don't know. I came home from work one day and it was in my living room as a project. It belongs to a friend of my girlfriends and she can't get out much so she brought this 'project' to me. When I first checked it out, it looked clean,the fuses were good and the door had only one florescent light in it. There was no Jackpot switch and one wire was off the handle solenoid,which I fixed. I then did an internet search about slot machines and came across NLG. What a great place, I enjoy it very much! I then turned the machine on and the handle soleinoid made a load thump and the top florescent light came on but nothing else. I took the hopper out and a board out of back holder and laid on insulated foam and checked it out and found out I had no 24vac at J3 pins 5,6. I then tried to measure stuff but since my documentation was wrong I was measuring the wrong places! Thats when I posted the problem and you guys came to the rescue! In checking the wiring I only found one bad wire a wht/grn one but everything else looked ok. So now I'll clean the sockets and connectors, rewrap the wiring harness, and check the correct pins to see if I have 24,8,7vac. I'll then hook them up to the board and see what I have again.This continues to be a great learning experience. Thanks for all your help so far. Thanks Tilt for taking time to analize my documentation and provide me with the correct info. I'll enclose some pics to see if I'm now on the same page. Going down to 3 tonight as a cold front from Canada moves in....

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »
Tilt,   glad you have a machine,  that removes all the mystery!  now we have to wait and see what happens when the board in put in play.  If you ever need S decals for the reel glass let me know, I have a ton of them.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  Yeah, hopefully it will help in tracking down the real problem.  Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

Hey Guys. Thank you Tilt looking over my documentation and pointing out the error in assumption on the pinouts.I really like NLG and appreciate everyones help. As to the history of the machine I don't know. I came home from work one day and it was in my living room as a project. It belongs to a friend of my girlfriends and she can't get out much so she brought this 'project' to me. When I first checked it out, it looked clean,the fuses were good and the door had only one florescent light in it. There was no Jackpot switch and one wire was off the handle solenoid,which I fixed. I then did an internet search about slot machines and came across NLG. What a great place, I enjoy it very much! I then turned the machine on and the handle soleinoid made a load thump and the top florescent light came on but nothing else. I took the hopper out and a board out of back holder and laid on insulated foam and checked it out and found out I had no 24vac at J3 pins 5,6. I then tried to measure stuff but since my documentation was wrong I was measuring the wrong places! Thats when I posted the problem and you guys came to the rescue! In checking the wiring I only found one bad wire a wht/grn one but everything else looked ok. So now I'll clean the sockets and connectors, rewrap the wiring harness, and check the correct pins to see if I have 24,8,7vac. I'll then hook them up to the board and see what I have again.This continues to be a great learning experience. Thanks for all your help so far. Thanks Tilt for taking time to analize my documentation and provide me with the correct info. I'll enclose some pics to see if I'm now on the same page. Going down to 3 tonight as a cold front from Canada moves in....

It was thanks to your meticulous note taking that I was able to figure it out.  Without them it would have been much harder to determine why things were so far off from the drawings.  Hopefully you'll be able to track down and resolve the remaining problems with the machine soon.  24 here today....stay warm!

Offline ControlledChaos

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
Hi guys, sorry it has taken so long. I have traced and checked all wires for breaks and have redone the fuzzy schematic I had. I belive the pinouts and color codes to be mostly correct. Now to put it back and see what symptoms persist.I don't think it will work as the NC (no connections) are in areas that I think are needed for the machine to function. That's where your expertise will help in the fate of this machine! As always thanks for you help!
~Rick 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal