New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help with a Bally 5-reel E-2000 slot  (Read 24927 times)

Offline fixinstuff

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • fixinstuff New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Bally 5-reel slot
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
 dhellis, thanks for helping so late tonight. Actually my user id should be "tryingtofix stuff" :) The supply voltages read +5=4.88, ZC=6.99, and UR=9.44. I'll check tomorrow and post results. Something went wrong because #5 test worked a couple days ago and all reels wore OK. The display showed the correct symbols/positions. No I only get 00000 in the display. You might not have read all of my posts on this slot. It was not working at all when I got it. I've cleaned the connections and repaired/checked the ribbon cables. It does concern me that the door open buzzer is always on.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 11:58:23 PM »
I just sent a message to the moderator to list this under the Bally E2000 section.

I guess I'm not seeing the Bally E2000 section.  As far as I can tell this topic is already in the correct place, the Bally Reel Games category.  If you think that it belongs somewhere else, please let me know...

I did re-name the title of the first post to include mention of the fact that it's an E-2000 machine.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline dhellis

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
Re: Help with a Bally 5-reel E-2000 slot
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 12:13:47 AM »
The board states Bally Reel games and lists the 1000 and 2000 machines so I also believe that it is in
the correct place. Thanks for changing the first post name, that should get the rest of the Bally E experts
to notice.

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 04:44:53 AM »
If you scroll back to my post - I indicated that the problem is the IO BOARD or contol board - obviously - my answer was not acceptable.  Why can't you accept the right answer?

Offline GOS

• GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 04:45:55 AM »
do a 5 test - most likely it will come up all zeroes - bad io board - reader control board.
CORRECT ANSWER!!!  applause!!!!! thank you very much.

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
do a 5 test - most likely it will come up all zeroes - bad io board - reader control board.
CORRECT ANSWER!!!  applause!!!!! thank you very much.

Yes.. Yes you did..  :applause:   At that time I do believe the person said the win meter was showing different numbers for the different reel symbols.. Sounds like its time to regroup and look at all the information we now have..
Question.. Would the machine operate correctly in test 8, if the IO had a problem?

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
Not sure if this effects anything, but OP mentions the door buzzer does not turn off when the door is closed. The switch behind the door hinge needs adjusted or replaced or wires are not connected properly.

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »
^^ What Sunrise said. Also, there is a short pigtail on one of the IO board connectors, with a fork terminal, connected to the ground.

You should cut that wire. Once you do, the machine will function with the door open, for testing purposes.  I think that wire was part of a circuit that was necessary to appease the gaming commission. Cutting it disables the feature.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
machine is NOT READING READERS so the machine will not run - 8 test is allows game to run with door open - you need to fix the reader problem - otherwise you are just wasting time.

Offline fixinstuff

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Well, I learned one thing...at least...to make sure the post  thread is named correctly! Happy to hear from all of you.  :applause: To be clear, couple days ago, the reel readers were working and display showed all symbols/positions correctly. Test #8 (with door open) works as far as it accepts coins and lets the handle pull, reels spin and index (stop in correct order)...I've never hit a win during test #8 so there is no indication that the readers are working during test#8. What I'm going to do today is trace voltages...I'm still hoping it's just connection problem somewhere. And GOS is probably right...the I/O or reel board could have gone bad since I've been messing with the connections. The info from dhellis will help me. To address the other comments: I've checked the door hinge and the switch is OK, and it will cause the machine to reset when the door is closed, so I think it is adjusted OK.  Be back later, thanks

Offline fixinstuff

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »
OK. dhellis, do I connect the 5v directly to one of the reel reader boards? and connect the 3ohm also to the same reel reader board? Should I remove the reel mech (disconnect the two molex connectors?) I guess I should remove the reels to better get to the readers? Does it make any difference which reader gets the 5v and resister?

Offline dhellis

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
The reel readers should be removed from the machine and tested individually.

Connect 5 volts to pin 16 (positive) and pin 14 (ground)

The 3,000 ohm resistor is connected to pin 11 and pin 14, this will turn on all of the IR Emitters. A voltage  reading
of around 3 volts should be at pins 1,3,5,7 and 9. If those readings are not there then the likely cause is the
small transistor that is also located on the reel reader board

**** Added info ****
If you split the cards you can see that the IR emitters are lit if you view them with a digital camera. This works
best in a low light area
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:02:47 PM by dhellis »

Offline fixinstuff

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 08:18:33 PM »
wow, this is a slot with some serious problems!! I tested each of the reel readers and they are all OK.  I only had a 3.4K res and a cheap ac adapter (5vdc). But they all tested out OK, all leds were between 2.5 and 3.5vdc. Most were pretty close to 3vdc. Well then I put it all back together and sure enough test #5 still shows 0000.  And now #8 test won't release the handle.  I hate to quit, but ...
Well, no I won't give up yet. The handle release sol is pulsed in #2. If I leave the inside on/off switch ON, then shut the door and lock it, then plug it into 110, the slot goes through some sort of initial auto testing, displays 000017, 000018, etc and then says insert coin. It accepts coins, but can't pull handle.  Test #8 (with door open) displays insert coin and accepts coin, but NOW can't pull handle. Maybe back to GOS's advice...I/O or reel mech board!  BTW, there are 2 key switches on the handle side:  one above the handle and one below the handle...what are they for? the top one doesn't seem to do anything, the bottom one sometimes will reset the slot.  ??? dhellis, I haven't checked the I/O  board yet...I need to go back to the schematics I guess.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »
May want to double check the pins on the ribbon cables and the items that were reseated and check for a bent pin?

Offline fixinstuff

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
I will.....tomorrow. Thanks PS: I  have some ribbon connectors so I might replace all the original connectors. Can't hurt , the new connectors have better pins. This may be silly, but am I right that the red "key" on the ribbon goes to pin 1 on both ends, and that pin 1 on the board connector is the corner that is angled ? Sometimes there is a white spot marked on the board to indicate pin 1...right? The white dots that I can see all match the angle corner on the female connectors.

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
I think what I might do is pull all the boards and send them to dhellis to have him check them on his board tester.
I know you said that you checked fuses, but did you pull the fuse holders and inspect them? I have found a lot of those old fuse holder cracked, or they are just in poor condition. I resently bought two machines. The one that powered on but that was about it. I opened it up and got to looking around I found duct tape every where. Holding the power supply board plug in place and you couldn't see the fuses due to duct tape holding the caps on. Once I went through the basic wiring problems including a shredded cord the machine came to life. Have you looked around and under things for loose change? I have found money behind IO and MPU boards as well as under the transformer and in behind the hopper boards.

I'm sure that these are not your problems, but just some I've found. I alway start from the plug and work my self inside. It can save you headaches later on..

So I'm thinking if you don't see any other bad plug connections any where, then I would get the boards tested to eliminate them.

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »
I just looked at one of my machines. The ribbon cable between the IO & MPU doesn't have the red edge. Mine has a white dot or arrow. The mark on my MPU ribbon cable is towards the back right side and looks like its on the top of the plug. The IO end is again on the right end of the plug on the bottom.
And remember...

Offline fixinstuff

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »
 Amechanic, I'll check both boards to make sure the ribbon cables are correct.  I've been thinking that I should replace the connection on the power supply too. It does have a burned contact on the female connector. The pins look OK, but I haven't been able to clean that burned contact. It is pin #9. I'll also take out the fuse board so as to check it better. Thanks
Oh, and I agree that I probably will end up sending dhellis the boards.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:34 PM »
That burnt pin could be a big problem. Those plugs use the connector that only contacts the pin on one side.. Very bad design and not meant to last 35+ years I'm guessing. Did you remove the power supply board and check that pin headers solder joints for cracks? That's another problem with these power supply's.
And remember...

Offline fixinstuff

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »
yea, I had the PS out and didn't find anything bad on the board itself. But the voltages at the test points are a little low so the PS is getting weak. I'll check and fix that bad contact tomorrow. #9 looks like an output so if I should be able to test continuity at the fuse block. Don't know why I haven't checked it before...or, wait...maybe I did?   :duh:     :Scratch-Head:   At my age...anything can happen. :>)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal