New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Weird S2000 Power Issue  (Read 1960 times)

Offline smddms

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • smddms New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Weird S2000 Power Issue
« on: September 04, 2023, 07:15:32 AM »
This machine has sat for about 10 years. The last time it was played, it worked fine. I was all set to replace the coin cell battery, but the machine initially would not power up. Turning the switch on would cause the power to "blip". It would act like it was starting for a split second then turn off. A few seconds later, it would do the same thing. The door lights, vfd, fluorescents, leds on cpu, candle and topper lights would all just blink for a split second then turn off.

I decided to pull the plugs from the motherboard one at a time to narrow down the issue. Once I got to J8, the machine started up normally. It ultimately threw the "meter disconnected" error. In this state, I was able to replace the coin cell battery, clear and key, and completely set up the menu options.

Things I have tried to resolve the issue:
1. Replaced the cabinet I/O board with one from a working machine.
2. Swap out CPU with one from a working machine

Machine details:
5 reel "Triple Lucky 7" 9 inch cabinet with topper
504 rev B board with enhanced sound board. Green battery was removed long ago. Has a coin cell battery holder.
5 cent coin handling
Bill validator
Ticket printer

Has anyone experienced this issue? Looking for some guidance on what else I can check. The issue seems to be related to the cabinet I/O. I thought replacing the board would fix the issue, but it looks like it's deeper. I tried to upload a video, but it was too large. 

Thanks for reading.

Steve

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Weird S2000 Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 07:57:46 AM »
Your title may have the answer: Power issue.  Test or replace the power supply, it's behind the reels. Check that it is making good contact (check thumb screw on left side). Videos must be uploaded to youtube or similar, you can only post pics here under 1mb in size.

Offline smddms

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 08:10:50 AM »
Thanks sixcardmark. I will have a look at the power supply and swap one from my other working machine if I see any anomalies.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 10:07:53 AM »
Caps in power supply dried out while being stored.

Offline smddms

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 10:15:58 AM »
I was able to swap power supplies with my other working 5 reel machine. The power supply from the machine I am having problems with was able to power my working machine without issue. The power supply from my working machine did not change the behavior of the machine I am having an issue with. 

I will work on getting a video posted of the issue.

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 10:19:33 AM »
I was able to swap power supplies with my other working 5 reel machine. The power supply from the machine I am having problems with was able to power my working machine without issue. The power supply from my working machine did not change the behavior of the machine I am having an issue with.

I will work on getting a video posted of the issue.

You have a major short in the cabinet then my experience it’s usually a florescent light ballast.

Offline smddms

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 05:46:14 AM »

Offline smddms

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 03:35:24 AM »
I unplugged the fluorescent ballasts for the door, cabinet, and topper lights. The behavior was still the same as in the video I posted, except the fluorescent light no longer blinked for a split second when the machine was turned on.

I also tried disconnecting the bill validator, meters, and backlit reel controller, but that made no difference as well. I believe all of those run through the cabinet I/O board.

Offline lookes

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 05:17:37 AM »
Have you tried removing the hopper? It is powered through the cabinet I/O card. Also, unplug the reel backlight cable from the front of the card. Never remove or replace I/O cards or any cables while the power is on! 
Other devices attached to the cabinet I/O card are the candles, handle switch and release solenoid. Check all wires and inspect the back of the card holder on the MPU cage.  To check the cable from the backplane to the I/O card, remove the I/O card and see if the machine powers up.
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 08:43:02 AM »
Have you tried removing the hopper? It is powered through the cabinet I/O card. Also, unplug the reel backlight cable from the front of the card. Never remove or replace I/O cards or any cables while the power is on! 
Other devices attached to the cabinet I/O card are the candles, handle switch and release solenoid. Check all wires and inspect the back of the card holder on the MPU cage.  To check the cable from the backplane to the I/O card, remove the I/O card and see if the machine powers up.

I have seem the handle lock solenoid shot out often.

Offline smddms

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 03:16:08 PM »
Thanks lookes and Retro tech repair along with everyone else who responded. I was able to get past the power issue. It was a short. I pulled all the plugs coming from the cabinet I/O board one at a time and it turned out to be the candle. The wire was frayed and touching the cabinet. Thanks again to everyone.

Steve

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal