New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Is my Bally haunted? At least the payout bell is!  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Gman

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Gman New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Is my Bally haunted? At least the payout bell is!
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »
This is my first post . I have several slots but this is my only electo mechanical machine. We had a party a few weeks ago and It was playing fine and everything working then all the sudden the payout bell started ringing non stop for no reason. I plugged the machine and plugged it back in and it fired back up and was working perfectly again for a few minutes then the bell started going off again all on its own and wouldn’t stop. I unplugged the machine for the night this time and yesterday fired it back up to find that the machine will not pay out no matter what the reels land on and the bell never rings. Any idea what might be suspect here or do I have a poltergeist? Thanks for any help. The metal ID tag on the outside of the machine says 1090 on the top line and 1090-453 on the second line and the tag has a date stanmped in it which is 4-15-77. It’s a 3 reel machine that will play up to 4 nickels and pays out up to 1000 coins. I will try and post some pics of old spooky here in a minute!

Offline Gman

• NLG
Re: Is my Bally haunted? At least the payout bell is!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »
Pic 1

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Pic 2

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »
Pic 3

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:03 PM »
Did someone hit a hand pay jackpot?  I'm still a newb here but.. Is there a red light on behind the hopper on the back left side of the machine?   There should be a flat bar just to the left of the hopper that will push the reset button next to the light and that will reset the payout condition.

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply off track. No, unfortunately the red light is not on and I have tested the reset by pressing the black button all the way in the back of the machine and it does seem to work properly. Once pressed the red light comes on and the entire machine shuts down. Push the flat strap under the hopper and the red light goes out and the machine fires back up but still no payout or bell.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
Check the contacts on the payout relay.
On the 1090 the red wire from the payout relay activates the bell
Hopper motor is started by the payout relay when a win is made. This would be the white blue wire.
Payout relay is located on the hopper upper left back when your looking into the machine.
Check the wires for breaks, hanging by one strand or shorting to another contact blade.
Inspect, clean and adjust the contact if need be, check for continuity and/or unwanted continuity.

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
Hello DavidLee and thanks for the response. Is the relay pictures the one you are referring to? I have cleaned all the contacts on both the relays in that area and checked all wires and they seem firmly attached and none seem crossed or shorted to each other. Is it supposed to be a solid color red wire with no tracer?

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
Oh and by the way when I manually press on the contacts on that relay in the direction the relay would move them, the hopper starts running and shooting out coins, still no bell

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
According to the schematic the wire is red, but that isn't always the case.
Pushing down the switch is energizing the hopper motor.
Nothing happens when you set up a payout?
Reels tells the payout step up (bottom right corner) it has a winner.
Step up starts hopper, then simultaneous steps up until the win is paid cutting power to the hopper.
See if the step up unit has returned to the starting position. Possibly the unit was stuck on a large payout.

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:20:50 PM »
Nothing happens when a pay out is setup. Pulled out what I believe is the stepper unit ( pic attached) and cleaned all contacts and it seems to move freely and recoils as I believe it should. I’m not real sharp at this stuff but I have several electro mechanical pinball machines and have managed to get them all working as they should so I’m not totally without skills I guess. 😊 so if the stepper unit tells the hopper when to pay out, what tells the stepper unit to do its thing? Has to be something on the reels I’m guessing?

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »
When a payout is made the reel wipers align to send a signal to the coin step up unit and the hopper motor via the payout relay.
The hopper kicks out the coins and the switch connected to the roller pivot bearing sends a signal to the step up unit every time a coin rolls under the bearing. When the step unit contact comb rides off its corresponding contact strips everything shuts off.

Try this on the hopper and reels mechanism with the machine on. Set up a payout then move the reels in n out and side to side, just 1/8 or so.
Do the same on the hopper. There may be a bad connection at the beau plug.

Second, with the reels out, set up a payout. Connect your meter to the Gray 90 wire  on reel 3. There should be continuity all the way across to the 1st reel and down to the beau plug. If this proves true the reel wipers are doing there job. Check the coin relay contacts for continuity and to see it there opening and closing properly. Bottom left controlled by latch coil mechanism.

In the photo it appears that the step up unit is on an orange payout, just wondering if that is was the last coin played before pulling the unit or you manually advanced the unit?

Photo of reset position

Pinball? next post.   

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:04 PM »
Re: pinball machines.

Where on the NLG site is the EM pinball form/discussion? If there is one.
Just brought back to life a Bally Odd Even machine. Just need to refinish the cabinets.

Also waiting for parts on a CC Cinema machine. Haven't powered it up yet, but have made 5 to 6 corrections so far.
Hopefully it will reset when powered up. Photos of the condition when I picked it up. Couldn't pass for 60 $

Lot of talk on what to use on the play-field for cleaning and wax.
What have you used that seems to work the best?

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
I believe the NLG pinball discussion is 5 listings above this one in the main NLG index. I don’t know if ther is an electro mechanical specific pinball forum but there is a topic on the first page about play field restoration. I have had a play field that was crazed like yours with clear coat and even the paint below starting to flake off. We restored the machine to playable condition and played it a few times and there would be a pile of new flakes at the bottom of the machine from the ball rolling over the dryer out clear.  I used spay can clear Varathane to reseal it and it worked flawlessly. They sell gloss, semi gloss and I think satin. I would stick to the gloss if you consider trying it. Had a chance to tinker with the slot again today and found the the step up unit never steps up but if you manually wind it up a bit it will release and go back to its stopper when a coin is inserted. Going to try all your suggestions shortly and let you know what I find. Also , I’m not sure if this is factory or not but there is a red LED in one of the wheel windows that you can see through the glass. It was always lit up and I never paid it any mind because the machine worked fine. Today I noticed this light is out. Its wired to the button on the front of the machine that you press for change but this button is rock solid and does not move. There is no power going to any terminals on this switch and the machine has no change light on top. Wondering if this is some kind of modification for something?

Offline Gman

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
Just realized what you did you paid for your pinball... where do you find a pinball machine in any condition for $60 ?? Lol. Oh , and what’s a “gray 90 wire”? Forgive my ignorance🙃

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
Re: pinball machines.
.....Where on the NLG site is the EM pinball form/discussion? If there is one......

I think this is the NLG pinball discussion board that Gman is referring to:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=54.0
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
Thanks for the pinball link.

Gray wire comes from the common yellow to the 3rd reel wiper board.
Usually on the top near to one end of the solder lugs.
Hook one side of your meter/test device to the gray.
Set up a payout and there should be continuity to the 1st reel wiper board corresponding to that particular win. Also to the beau plug continuing to the corresponding pay on the payout step up unit.

Going to look for a 1090 schematic PDF to send to you.

Red LED not stock as far as I know.
Change/service button may have 40 years of drinks, tar and whatever keeping it from moving.
Or it’s been manually blocked from behind.
Will the button rotate?

Regards to the not resetting payout unit. The first coin resets the unit via the coin relay and or handle release.
Check the coin relay.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal