New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Swap out Games on I-Game?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline SteveXKR

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • SteveXKR New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Swap out Games on I-Game?
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
Hello All,
I have two IGT I-Game slots (Little Green Men Family Reunion and Lobster Mania) and i'm trying to figure how I can swap to a different game if I wanted?
Is it possible to just buy the main boards all complete in the metal try and just slide it in? Online I sometimes see people just selling the IC Chips but not sure I want to mess with that because it seems like a headache...While nice, I don't necessarily care about having the matching glass to go with the actual game.
Is there a list of what would be compatible with my systems and what would be a good place to find the games?

Thanks!

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Swap out Games on I-Game?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »
If you swap the trays, you will still need a key chip to setup and enable validator, printer, denom, etc.  3902 games can use key 40 (latest available).
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline wizeone

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • wizeone New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:10:18 AM »
the easiest way to do tray swaps is to get an extra eeprom chip(U2 on the motherboard) and change it with the tray, that way you dont have to keep keychipping every time, just swap the 8 pic chip and tray and fire it up.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »
It should be noted, that regardless of the swap method, you will always need a key for the initial configuration.  A while back, there was a post with a mod to install the eeprom chip on the mpu and removing the one on the backplane, so the mpu would be self contained and only the mpu board needed to be changed.  I never did it.  I kind of like doing the key and configure as part of the "fun"
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline SteveXKR

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys!

Sounds like I'll purchase the KeyChip 40 then just to be safe.
As far as the eeprom I think I found that thread - I like that self-contained idea.. just need to see if I can follow along - Do I understand correctly I'd basically be adding the eeprom on every 'game board' so to speak (based on rick's reply) - otherwise I should install a socket and replug the matching one correct?.
The Key/Config seems like a such a hassle, but on the flip side I think I get the gist as to why they did it that way

Usually for electronics parts I know I can hit up mouser/digikey assuming they have the right part - what do you guys recommend for the Key 40?
Also any hot leads on getting the gameboards from somewhere? Most I can find seems to be whole slot machines and I definitely dont have room for that! :)

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
Key40 is relatively easy to obtain, if you post a WTB ad, someone will have them for you.  I buy my parts from mouser as well.   As far as gameboards, same deal as the key40, many dealers frequent this site and they have those parts all day long for reasonable prices.  And yes, you put an eeprom in each mpu board.  There was other mods that needed to be done to the mpu, not just add the chip if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »

As far as the eeprom I think I found that thread - I like that self-contained idea.. just need to see if I can follow along - Do I understand correctly I'd basically be adding the eeprom on every 'game board' so to speak (based on rick's reply) - otherwise I should install a socket and replug the matching one correct?.
The Key/Config seems like a such a hassle, but on the flip side I think I get the gist as to why they did it that way

Usually for electronics parts I know I can hit up mouser/digikey assuming they have the right part - what do you guys recommend for the Key 40?
Also any hot leads on getting the gameboards from somewhere? Most I can find seems to be whole slot machines and I definitely dont have room for that!

Here's the thread for the EEPROM mod, it's a "Sticky" post on the I-game forum.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=251.0

There's basically two ways, one is to get a 27C16 DIP EEPROM for each 3902 board/game and swap them both at the same time.  Keeps your settings, credits etc.  Most people do this because it's easy and doesn't require modification to your 3902 board.  The other method requires some SMD soldering skills.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably shouldn't attempt it.  You have to remove a SMD resistor and solder in a SMD 27C16 EEPROM.  Then you remove the DIP EEPROM from the motherboard (backplane) and you can swap the 3902 boards out like a giant Atari cartridge with everything intact.  You have to do that same mod to each 3902 board you want to do be able to do that with. 

Check with any of our vendors on the home page, they may be able to help you out with additional 3902 boards and game software.

Offline wizeone

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • wizeone New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:06:58 AM »
hit up RB here on the site for your keychip needs  :cool_thumb_up:

Offline SteveXKR

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »

Also any hot leads on getting the gameboards from somewhere? Most I can find seems to be whole slot machines and I definitely dont have room for that!

Here's the thread for the EEPROM mod, it's a "Sticky" post on the I-game forum.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=251.0

There's basically two ways, one is to get a 27C16 DIP EEPROM for each 3902 board/game and swap them both at the same time.  Keeps your settings, credits etc.  Most people do this because it's easy and doesn't require modification to your 3902 board.  The other method requires some SMD soldering skills.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably shouldn't attempt it.  You have to remove a SMD resistor and solder in a SMD 27C16 EEPROM.  Then you remove the DIP EEPROM from the motherboard (backplane) and you can swap the 3902 boards out like a giant Atari cartridge with everything intact.  You have to do that same mod to each 3902 board you want to do be able to do that with. 

Check with any of our vendors on the home page, they may be able to help you out with additional 3902 boards and game software.

Thanks! Ive done some SMD work before so I think I'll give it a shot! :)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 06:03:41 PM »
Ok, you should be alright then, it's pretty simple.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 08:50:24 PM »

There's basically two ways, one is to get a 27C16 DIP EEPROM for each 3902 board/game and swap them both at the same time.  Keeps your settings, credits etc.  Most people do this because it's easy and doesn't require modification to your 3902 board.

I do the EEPROM method because my soldering/electronic skills are poor.

I can swap out a game in less than 3 minutes using a cheap IC removal tool for the EEPROM on the backplane—as long as I don't accidentally drop the EEPROM into the back of the machine! Otherwise, I just put the EEPROM in a sandwich bag and keep it with its 3902 tray. Easy peasy, and those EEPROMs are cheap—like 25 cents each.

But beware: once you start down this path, forever it will dominate your slot-playing destiny!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal