New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need help quick!  (Read 2021 times)

Offline SilverFerret

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • SilverFerret New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Need help quick!
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
I'm finally getting around to upgrading my 3902 platform to an 044 and I have today to do it before going back to work for a week. I'm trying to change to backplane but can't seem to get any of the plugs to come out. I'm not sure how forceful I need to be because I'm sure they haven't moved since it came off the assembly line. It's a bit tough with crappy eyesight and progressive lenses to see what I'm doing with the tabs on the plugs but I can't feel any movement in the plugs. Do they get stuck from being in the same place all this time? Would contact cleaner work like WD40 and help loosen them?
Please, if you've done this before, let me know.
Thanks, Jim

Offline wizeone

• Reputation Power: 14
  • wizeone New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Need help quick!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
they do tend to want to stay together after a while(even worse when there is a drink spill on them)..

just need to carefully move them up, down, side to side, eventually they will come loose.  you don't want to use wd40 on them

Offline Z71OFFROAD

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Z71OFFROAD New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »
There is a locking tab, make sure you press the tab as you work the plug back and forth.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm a numbskull. I was thinking the tabs have to be lifted not depressed. I had it backwards. Funny how things work when you operate them correctly.
Thanks again, Jim

Online sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
When you go to plug in everything in the deluxe motherboard there is one harness connector you will have to flip upside down.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:47:55 PM »
Thanks, everything went together fine. Unfortunately I thought I had the right key chip but I forgot I had the key chip for the legacy board (key 40). Just ordered key 28.
Thanks all, Jim

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
When you get your Key 28 handle your flash board with extreme care.  Ground yourself to the cabinet first, and better yet, if you have a wrist strap use that.  They're easily damaged by ESD (electrostatic discharge..aka static electricity).  If you have to handle one it's best to do it by the edges.  In lieu of Key 28 I highly recommend getting GKDEV039 bootchip.  It has a keychip function built in as well as the ability to turn off DSA/SHA checks so your MPU will boot in a few seconds rather than a couple of minutes.  Contact member RB if you want to obtain one.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
Thanks Tilt, I may look into that.
Thanks, Jim

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 07:17:37 AM »
Well I'm disappointed to say after receiving the Key 28 chip, I still can't seem to get her up and running. I am able to get to the clear Ram/Eeprom/and key chip mode screen but it only clears Ram then get's stuck at Clearing Eeprom(pictured below). Not sure what to do next. Any ideas?
Thanks, Jim

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »
I'd shut it off and try it again.

How long were you waiting?

Was there credits on the machine?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
I waited a good 20+ minutes. It's a new Backplane and CPU so I doubt the credits thing is an issue... if so, I'd have to swap back to 3902 platform to clear. I did shut if off and try again and same thing. I even tried to go right to key chip mode and it locked up there also.
Not sure what to do.
Thanks, Jim

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
You got a Key45?
I use that thing a lot and it works every time!  :yes:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:25:31 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 03:54:06 PM »
Key 45 isn't going to work on an I-game 044 Flash card. 

Do you have an EPROM burner?  If so, remove the EEPROM from the backplane and use your EPROM programmer to erase it.  I ran into this issue once before and I'm trying to remember how I resolved it.  It may have been the wrong EEPROM on the backplane.  The EEPROM on the 044 backplane is a 24C256 right?

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »

Do you have an EPROM burner?  If so, remove the EEPROM from the backplane and use your EPROM programmer to erase it.  I ran into this issue once before and I'm trying to remember how I resolved it.  It may have been the wrong EEPROM on the backplane.  The EEPROM on the 044 backplane is a 24C256 right?

I'll have to look.
Thanks, Jim

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
okay thanks...I overlooked "Flash card"  :duh:

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
So, I've swapped the Eeprom on the motherboard and that didn't do the trick. It was suggested that with the 044 platform, that if the battery on the CPU is below 3v this happens so I've replaced it and so far no luck. Tilt also stated that when swapping the motherboard, I'll need to flip over one of the connectors but that wasn't the case unless I did it without realizing it but I also heard some do and some don't. Could it be some 044 motherboards won't work with some 044 CPU's? I don't know... just fishing for a solution.
Thanks, Jim

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
Was it the correct EEPROM 24C256?  An EEPROM from a 3902 (24C16) won't work. Also make sure it's oriented in the socket correctly.

That was sixcardmark who mentioned the connector flip, but it will only fit one way anyhow.

There probably is different rev 044 motherboards, but they should all work with an 044 MPU. 

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
Was it the correct EEPROM 24C256?  An EEPROM from a 3902 (24C16) won't work. Also make sure it's oriented in the socket correctly.

That was sixcardmark who mentioned the connector flip, but it will only fit one way anyhow.

There probably is different rev 044 motherboards, but they should all work with an 044 MPU.

It's a 24FC256 EEprom
I put it in a EEprom eraser so not 100% sure if it erased but I suspect so... it's one of those ultraviolet light erasers. I'm trying it again.
Thanks, Jim

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 03:18:56 PM »
Ok, that's the correct one.  It's an electrically erasable read only memory IC.  It can't be erased with UV, but if you have an eprom programmer most will support EEPROMs too.  You select it as the device type and there's usually an erase menu button that you can click on to erase it.

Offline SilverFerret

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »
Ok, that's the correct one.  It's an electrically erasable read only memory IC.  It can't be erased with UV, but if you have an eprom programmer most will support EEPROMs too.  You select it as the device type and there's usually an erase menu button that you can click on to erase it.

Okay, I used my Batronix burner and erased the EEprom. No luck. Funny thing though with all the back and forth with removing and replacing the EEprom, I forgot to put it back in and fired up the machine with the Key28 and I quickly got excited as it flew right through the "clear motherboard EEprom" step only to realize what I had done. But with that, doesn't it pretty much narrow down that it is in the EEprom or motherboard?
Thanks, Jim

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal