New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1090 “B” switches and payout counter reset  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • Lee Pfeifer New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 1090 “B” switches and payout counter reset
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:05:13 PM »
I’ve been adjusting my “B” switch the one with the black wire with the white trace that goes to the coil on the payout counter , I’ve been adjusting this for several hours , and the switches look perfect, but every once in a while it won’t reset on a low pay like a single cherry 🍒.
Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
Re: Bally 1090 “B” switches and payout counter reset
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
don't forget the payout counter "open at zero" switch.  If your problem is happening on the minimum pay, that switch it likely not closing.

reset the payout counter and verify the switch is open, manually step the payout counter once and verify it's closed. 

the switch has yellow wire #30 and orange/black wire #78-1 on it.  I assume it's the switch at the zero stop bumper on the payout unit.

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:41:20 PM »
Here’s the current state of my 1090 , any help is appreciated

https://youtu.be/GMJO4x_QMhY

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
if you leave the game long enough or turn it off, the hopper cut off relay will lose power and the payout relay won't work.

pushing in the bar like you're doing I assume would still reset the payout counter, but since the hopper won't turn on, it's a one-time thing.

to repower the hopper cut off relay, you can close the handle release relay or there's a reset button someplace.

it's not clear from the video what the problem is.  After you turn off the power, you'd need to insert a coin and yank the handle to get the payout counter to reset.

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »
WolfTalk,
The payout counter is resetting like it should , most of the time . And sometimes I have to manually reset the payout counter by hand . Today ( my birthday) it’s working better than it ever has before , I’m just trying to get it perfect .
LEE

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »
WolfTalk,
The payout counter is resetting like it should , most of the time . And sometimes I have to manually reset the payout counter by hand . Today ( my birthday) it’s working better than it ever has before , I’m just trying to get it perfect .
LEE

even if the payout counter didn't reset on a handle pull, it should try and reset every handle pull unless the zero switch is open or the b-3 switch wasn't closing.

since you took care of the B-3 switch, the only thing left is the zero switch on the payout counter and the plug connections. 

yank the hopper unit out and make sure that switch is clean and closing well when you manually step the payout counter up once.  You may need to bend the moving blade where it enters the stack so it exerts more pressure on the other blade ... if it's barely touching, it won't be reliable. 

this is one of the exceptions to the rule that you "don't mess with the moving blade".  Since nothing is pushing the moving blade down against the stationary one, all you have is moving blade tension to make a good mechanical connection.

the goal is to have an open switch at reset, and a solid connection at step 1+.

the easiest thing may be:

1] step up the payout counter a times to ensure the pawl is dropped away
2] bend down the moving blade a bit to add some tension against the stationary blade.  Ideally the blade should be on or almost on the pawl still.
3] reset the payout counter so the pawl is lifting up the moving blade
4] adjust the stationary blade for a small gap.  It's fiddly since the moving blade doesn't move a big distance.
5] step the payout counter once and verify the switch is closed. 

if you want to prove the issue is the zero switch, jumper or misadjust it closed permanently.  The payout counter reset coil will fire on every handle pull, but that's harmless except the bit of wear-n-tear.  If you stop having an issue, you know it's the zero switch being flaky due to adjust/clean/pitting.

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »
WolfTalk,
You are awesome, thank you for taking the time to help me , I adjusted the Zero switch and now the machine is acting like it should , I just got home from my birthday party and I played the machine for an hour , it didn’t fail once , thank you Sir

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »
WolfTalk,
You are a genius, yesterday I thought you were and today I know you are .
Thank you for helping me understand these circuits !
Your help has been phenomenal!
LEE

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 12:35:55 PM »
WolfTalk.. Where did you learn to repair the EM Slots?  Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »
don't ask me anything about the mechanical parts of the machine :-)  Lots of people here have way more knowledge and experience of the common problems, methods of troubleshooting and maintenance.  I get interested when the problem is how a game function is implemented in the circuits.

my self-taught background is bally bingo pinball machines ... they came before the EM slots.   Stuff like relays, stepper units and cam-operated switches carried forward into the slots and flipper pinball games. 

the schematic symbols and style is also the same, so the circuits and troubleshooting them is what I'm comfortable with.

I went to the reno nevada area a lot of years ago and bought a few bingos from a guy who was a bally field tech, operator, slot designer and used machine wholesaler.  He's the guy who had all the documentation.  He let me borrow a bunch of the docs over time and I scanned them. 

a few years ago he died and recently all that documentation was given to me.  My goal is to get the scans cleaned up and posted for free download on a separate web site, but that'll take a while so I've been procrastinating here and posting what people could use immediately.

I do have one slot machine - the commercial white elephant bally 929-1 "bingo continental".   The reno guy said they had gutted all the ones they had and turned them into 5 reel "free spin/win a car" machines.  I wanted to see how one of the EM slots worked, and the bingo tie-in was an obvious choice.

I got an incomplete 929 from barry in florida.  It had the wrong hopper, no reel wipers, and the documentation wasn't anywhere. 

I eventually found someone with a machine I could look in and get enough info to make the odd dual-wiper assemblies and the correct payout unit.  Using the bally manuals, schems for similar games, a couple books people had published and the info from the other 929, I learned how the machine worked.

by pure chance I later found the docs on ebay and the reno guy found some original wipers, so after many years the game was completed.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:04:08 PM by wolftalk »

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
That’s a cool story. I remember reading and following that Bingo build. That’s set of contacts on that one key switch was something else. My biggest problem is reading and following the flow of a schematic. I’m a Mechanic by trade, so working with my hands and trouble shooting come natural to me. I’m also self taught. Bought a 742 about 15 years ago. Guy told me the hopper needed cleaning.. What did I know? Well after too many hours to mention, and finding this form, I finally found a pinched wire grounding out on the hoppers beau plug to its mounting bracket!! It’s still running today. After that I was hooked...
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
Discovery !!!!!!’

I was having intermittent problems, after I finished playing and disconnected power , when I would return to machine restore power and start to play , it wouldn’t play properly , I would have to reset the payout counter manually and then it would start to play correctly, THEN I discovered than if I disconnected power after a win it would always play properly when I returned, and if I disconnected power on a loss it would not play properly.
Anyways the discovery is if you quit and disconnect power on a win the little arm on the payout counter is not causing the little arm to set against and get stuck to the gooey black rubber bumper on the zero stop unit .
If you disconnect on a loss the lever gets stuck to the black gooey zero stop bumper .
So I need the pencil eraser ✏️ fix .
But I’ve now started stopping all three of my machines on a win so that lever on the payout counter is not sitting against the black bumper.
LEE

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 11:38:17 AM »
nice one.  I think my zero stop bumper is wrapped in duct tape :-)

until you get around to replacing it, you could clean the rubber with acetone to remove the sticky stuff then coat it with silicone to minimize the goo formation.  The stuff used for car seals would work.

'course, that's assuming you have acetone and silicone laying around.  An eraser is cheaper.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »
When I worked the floor, we’d use 2 pieces of nickel coin wrapper to stick on the gooies. A quick & ugly fix, but when you’re 8 calls behind, anything works. Quick fix now, too.
Wolftalk, your pinball experience is great. Always admired those guys. Worked vacation route for a guy one week, and a couple of his money pins went down. A hoppered pinball type as you may know. The harnesses were as thick as my forearms. Was able to keep it running about half the time. Ingenious devices!!
Who was your friend in Reno? May have known him.

Rule of thumb, with any pay problem, if your winner paid light stays on, machine probably did not reset. Look at payboard, push back clock timing bar, listen for payboard reset coil to fire.
If still no pay, jiggle all 3 reels.
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 10:06:15 PM »
phil anderson was the guy in reno/sparks.  He owned ace slots (nothing to do with anything you'd find a web site for these days).

when bally got rid of the documentation for the EM stuff, it was supposed to go to phil.  Someone else grabbed it off the loading dock.

can't remember who phil said it was - maybe someone in southern california.   If anyone knows, I'd love to see if it's still around.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 07:47:15 PM »
Worked with Ace Coin many years ago, off Rock & Glendale area, wonder if that’s the same group? Nice guys, owner retired and his son took over I hear. Don’t know if they’re still operating. .
That’s an interesting looking money pin you got there...
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
I think he had ace coin and ace slots on the sign outside his place on pittman, but I could be wrong about the slots part.

when phil died, a friend of his who also worked with phil took on the job of clearing out the warehouse.  It took years.  The bingos/parts all went to the UK in a container.  The slots/parts went to central valley and monti's slot shop.   The one-balls a couple people took some, the rest I think went to the dump.

then there was all the motorcycle parts, the video poker machines, the press for making index discs and the blanks ... 

the warehouse was finally emptied last year and someone new is in there now.

I assume central valley still has a bunch of machines and parts if anyone can find them.  Hopefully they didn't all go to the dump.

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
Hey Wolf talk we spoke on email several years ago regarding the work you had already done scanning in some of the images I downloaded a lot of the ones you scanned in and fix them put them on my Facebook page free of charge I am the guy that took over a 100 of the old IA machines out of Ace gaming and most of the rest of the old Em parts from Alan he was a wonderful Tech have not heard from him in a few years I thought off a roof 3 years ago have not been able to travel back to see anyone unfortunately

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
Excuse me well all the roof

Offline Lee Pfeifer

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »
I just saw these reply’s , you guys are the best thank you for teaching me !
I will make you proud!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal