New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Mk7 fcfg chip versions (1.5 vs 2.0+) and SSD versus CF games  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Mk7_4fun

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Mk7_4fun New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Mk7 fcfg chip versions (1.5 vs 2.0+) and SSD versus CF games
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:28:56 PM »
Hi all,

Just wondering whether a standard Red CPU board can run SSD games based on having a fcfg v1.5 chip and pulling out the BIOS chip? Has anyone tried this?

Its strange that for SSD you can supposedly run an old version of this chip (v1.5) but a newer version of fcfg chip (2.0+) "with" a BIOS chip is required to run the Compact Flash games....

What is the fcfg chip and what does it do anyway??

thx

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: Mk7 fcfg chip versions (1.5 vs 2.0+) and SSD versus CF games
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 04:49:34 AM »
Yes you can,
Im running a Buffalo legends right now with that setup.Ill take some pictures later today of it.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »
The fcfg chip is a S-ATA to IDE bridge.  The CF cards are IDE devices so you need a "converter" to attach it to the S-ATA bus, which is what the red-board natively support.  If you use an SSD connected to the S-ATA connector you are bypassing this circuit anyway, so it doesn't make a difference. If you use a cf card, then the circuit is used to bridge the ide bus to the S-ATA bus. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Mk7_4fun

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
thanks for the great information.

From a document I have showing comparability between "boards, BIOS and Linux OS", it states for NxP boards that the BIOS is "On UCD Chip @ U2 Version 1.5". Is this correct?

So does this mean U2 can behave as a bridge from IDE to S-ATA for CF (as long as its version 2.0 or above) or as the BIOS for an S-ATA SSD (version 1.5) with native SATA support so that the SSD is read instead of the CF during boot?

If U2 has version 1.5 with SSD, does the BIOS chip in U1 need to be removed for this configuration to work or can it remain and its just ignored?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »
You can just leave it.  If I'm not mistaken the difference between 1.5 and 2.0+ is the support for UDMA styled CF cards for faster loading.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Mk7_4fun

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
thanks.

Is it true though that the SSD "BIOS" is then in the U2 Chip instead of the U1. So U1 can be pulled out?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
I don't think that is the case.   I have never removed U1 from the mainboard to try, but based on general PC computer knowledge, you cannot remove the main bios chip from anything and expect it to boot or do anything.  U2 is NOT a bios (I don't even know why they say it is),  it is just a bridge chip, there is no BIOS logic of any kind in that chip, it is just a specialized circuit that does one thing, to make cf cards work on the S-ATA bus.

If you are so intent on pulling U1, go ahead, can't hurt anything.  I don't believe it's going to boot off an SSD or anything for that matter without U1. 

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »

Heres the pictures.
To make this work you need the SSD,CF and the smart card.
It wouldnt work for me if I left the Bios chip in U1

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »
I think the SSD has the Bios in it.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
I have no idea how that is working.  Unless it's using the SSD as the BIOS chip, which is something I've never seen done before.  It's weird, but I guess if it works.  Learned something new today.  So what is on the SSD?  Can you not boot buffalo legends just using U1 and the 2.x U2?

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
It wouldnt boot with just the CF,smart card and the normal chips in U1 and U2.

I even changed U2 to the 1.5 and still wouldnt boot.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
So what is on the SSD?  Is it labeled in any way?  I just bought Buffalo Legends, didn't know this was a requirement for this game.  Never seen anything like that.

Offline Mk7_4fun

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »
what game is in the CF slot? It doesnt make sense as the whole idea of the NxP board is to just use the SSD for the game, and not the CF

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
If I boot without the cf card in this is the error I get.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 07:27:12 PM »
Maybe your particular version is protected somehow.  The SSD claims encryption.  I haven't received my buffalo legends yet.  I hope it boots without all the stuff you needed to make yours work.

Mine has a different OS and BASE, it has 3.05.A OS and 4.05.0-1.00.1 USA Platform base with a 4.3 MBR, but same program id 1.05-62135. I'll let you know if it boots!!!  Oh boy!!!

Offline Mk7_4fun

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:38 AM »
What is strange is your game is World Base yet you are getting an "assuming setchip"?

What happens if you have no BIOS chip but FCFG 1.5 and just CF (no SSD)? Does it work? What are the errors then?

Offline Mk7_4fun

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 02:34:20 AM »

i am wondering whether the fact your SSD game states *ENCRYPT* means something is missing or maybe a different FCFG chip?

I've noticed on ebay that some SSDs have *ENCRYPT* and other's don't. It doesn't appear to matter whether they are USA or World Base BUT are game dependent... also the LinuxOS can be the same whether its Encrypt or not!

Tarzan of the Apes   - LinuxOS 3.05.A - USA Platform 4.05.1-1.01.0 - MBR&BL 4.1 - 03-Jun-2014
Tarzan of the Apes   - LinuxOS 3.05.E - World Base 4.07.0.-1.00.2 - MBR&BL 4.5 - 23-Jul-2014
Let's Make a Deal    - LinuxOS 3.05.E- World Base 4.07.0-1.00.2 - MBR&BL 4.5 - 25-Aug-2014
Golden Amulet        - LinuxOS *ENCRYPT* 3.05.A - USA Platform 4.05.1-1.01.0 -MBR&BL 4.3 - 21-Mar-2014
The Swinging Sixties - LinuxOS *ENCRYPT* 3.05.E - World Base 4.07.0-1.00.2 - MBR&BL 4.5 08-Jul-2014
The Rolling stones   - LinuxOS 4.00.5 - World Base 5.01.0-1.00.3- MBR&BL 4.7 - 04-Feb-2015

All 16GB Innolite Sata SSD II

Offline Mk7_4fun

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 02:44:13 AM »

The *ENCRYPT* after your LinuxOS compared to the CF card is interesting. All OS and MBR&BL are identical..

From fleabay I found the following 16GB SSD games for sale. It appears the "ENCRYPT" is game dependent... We can see the LinuxOS version etc.. is base dependent.. A "manifest" is related to a hash... then there is something going on around the cryptography... I would have said maybe a different Smartcard/SIM but the game IDs on your Buffalo Legends are identical - 1.05.62135

Tarzan of the Apes   - LinuxOS 3.05.A - USA Platform 4.05.1-1.01.0 - MBR&BL 4.1 - 03-Jun-2014
Tarzan of the Apes   - LinuxOS 3.05.E - World Base 4.07.0.-1.00.2 - MBR&BL 4.5 - 23-Jul-2014
Let's Make a Deal    - LinuxOS 3.05.E- World Base 4.07.0-1.00.2 - MBR&BL 4.5 - 25-Aug-2014
Golden Amulet        - LinuxOS *ENCRYPT* 3.05.A - USA Platform 4.05.1-1.01.0 -MBR&BL 4.3 - 21-Mar-2014
The Swinging Sixties - LinuxOS *ENCRYPT* 3.05.E - World Base 4.07.0-1.00.2 - MBR&BL 4.5 08-Jul-2014
The Rolling stones   - LinuxOS 4.00.5 - World Base 5.01.0-1.00.3- MBR&BL 4.7 - 04-Feb-2015

All 16GB Innolite Sata SSD II

What is crazy, whether the game is on SSD or CF, these are just storage devices that are mounted by the BIOS and the game is then loaded into memory from which it should just run!

Offline The laneman

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 05:39:48 AM »
If I disconnect the SSD this is the error I get....
The cf card and smart card are still installed

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal