New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: CPU worth saving?  (Read 5906 times)

Offline gwunited2

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • gwunited2 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
CPU worth saving?
« on: February 27, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »
Is this even worth trying to clean up or is it shot? Time to buy a new CPU board?

Offline Harvs

• Think!, While it's still legal...
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: CPU worth saving?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 06:20:37 PM »
Does it work at all, or did it fail and that's why you ask?

Looks poo to me, but I have seen worse that keep on ticking.

Offline gwunited2

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Just picked up the game. It went to RAM error so we went through reset process. Close door error came up and wouldn't clear. Pulled board and found leaky battery.

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
Just picked up the game. It went to RAM error so we went through reset process. Close door error came up and wouldn't clear. Pulled board and found leaky battery.
Ah, ok. I have a spare. It works 100% but at one point had acid damage as seen.

Offline gwunited2

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 06:48:19 PM »
How did you clean it up? I'm willing to try. I have sensor contact cleaner and thought about using that and a toothbrush.

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »
How did you clean it up? I'm willing to try. I have sensor contact cleaner and thought about using that and a toothbrush.
I didn't, came in a machine that worked fine, only reason I changed it was because member RB threatened me about it having minor acid damage.. Ha.. Seriously, just changed it cause I ran an Rboard game and needed the enhanced MPU for that.

Offline Alanis1050

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Alanis1050 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »
GWUnited2 is my buddy helping me with my board. Did you want to sell the board Harvs? If so, let me know. We are both new to this so we need a lot of help.

Mike

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
Is this even worth trying to clean up or is it shot? Time to buy a new CPU board?

You can try cleaning it, nothing to lose.

1) Remove old battery by unsoldering it or cutting it out with diagonal plier cutters.

2) Lay board in sink or large pan. Tilt board and position it so that the area needing cleaning is toward the lowest edge so that you only wet the area that has battery leakage, no need to wet entire board. Pour mixture of vinegar, a little mild liquid detergent and warm water over area of board needing cleaning. Brush clean with non-metal bristle brush, like a toothbrush, acid brush or similar. Don't damage any parts on the board by getting too rough. Don't brush the board without having it wet with the cleaning liquid. Be careful to not get cleaning liquid into PLCC sockets (square sockets with ic contacts on all 4 inner sides), they can take long time to dry.

3) Rinse board thoroughly. Rinse again. Turn it vertically and let it drip dry overnight. You can use a fan to blow air slowly to help dry.

4) Don't rush step 3. The cleaning liquid will get under some parts and needs to dry completely before applying power. If board still has damp areas after drying overnight then wait until it does dry. Don't use compressed air to blow water off circuit board, it can create large voltages from static electricity due to the fast moving dry air. Large static electricity voltages are death to delicate electronic parts.

5) Reinstall into machine, cross fingers and see if it works.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:55:20 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »
GWUnited2 is my buddy helping me with my board. Did you want to sell the board Harvs? If so, let me know. We are both new to this so we need a lot of help.

Mike
Sure, $45 shipped without MMLB board attached, $60 with. And if you wanted the motherboard add $10 to that.

Oh, it is a 504B. PM me if interested, will reply tomorrow AM.  :cool_thumb_up:

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

You can try cleaning it, nothing to lose.

1) Remove old battery by unsoldering it or cutting it out with diagonal plier cutters.

2) Lay board in sink or large pan. Tilt board and position it so that the area needing cleaning is toward the lowest edge so that you only wet the area that has battery leakage, no need to wet entire board. Pour mixture of vinegar, a little mild liquid detergent and warm water over area of board needing cleaning. Brush clean with non-metal bristle brush, like a toothbrush, acid brush or similar. Don't damage any parts on the board by getting too rough. Don't brush the board without having it wet with the cleaning liquid. Be careful to not get cleaning liquid into PLCC sockets (square sockets with ic contacts on all 4 inner sides), they can take long time to dry.

3) Rinse board thoroughly. Rinse again. Turn it vertically and let it drip dry overnight. You can use a fan to blow air slowly to help dry.

4) Don't rush step 3. The cleaning liquid will get under some parts and needs to dry completely before applying power. If board still has damp areas after drying overnight then wait until it does dry. Don't use compressed air to blow water off circuit board, it can create large voltages from static electricity due to the fast moving dry air. Large static electricity voltages are death to delicate electronic parts.

5) Reinstall into machine, cross fingers and see if it works.

Completely cover the board in a tub of long grain white rice for 24 hours to remove excessive moisture.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
Completely cover the board in a tub of long grain white rice for 24 hours to remove excessive moisture.

That'll do it,
and you'll have a good start to the next day's lunch!    :odie:
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
The long grain rice worked on my wife's flip phone when she ran it through a wash cycle with some clothes.

When I removed the battery soap bubbles came out.

Completely immersed in a bowl of long grain rice for 24 hours the phone worked fine when put back together.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
You can put it in the dishwasher if it has a good dry cycle. Might want to pull any seated chips and the processor though. Works really good for getting tar and nicotine buildup off stuff too

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
The long grain rice worked on my wife's flip phone when she ran it through a wash cycle with some clothes.

When I removed the battery soap bubbles came out.

Completely immersed in a bowl of long grain rice for 24 hours the phone worked fine when put back together.

Rice is a good low-cost drying agent. My grandmother and mother both put a half-teaspoon or so of uncooked rice grains in their salt shaker for the table, keeps the salt from absorbing moisture and clumping up, clogging the holes in the shaker. That may be a Southern thing, or all places with high summer humidity. Also gives the shaker a distinctive sound. The rice is too big to pass thru the holes in the shaker lid, so I guess it stays inside forever.

Offline Alanis1050

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Alanis1050 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
Money sent Harvs. Thank you!

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
Thanks!  :cool_thumb_up:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal