New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S2000 Keeps repeatedly saying ;Display passes self-test; but wont boot up ?  (Read 6411 times)

Offline octoolguy

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • octoolguy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I don't mean to jump into someone else's problem but I'm having almost the exact same problem. I have not done any resetting with any chips. My cmos battery went dead because I had the machine turned off and after replacing both batteries on the motherboard, I now get the "display passes self test" message and the bill validator keeps recycling. I can't get it to go past this point. I have 2 yellow and 1 green LED's lit on the main board. I ordered a 17 and a 97 chip but haven't received them yet. I'm hoping that I won't need them but if I do, I will have them. My machine is the Double Diamond Deluxe with the reels that either go up or go down depending on the arrow direction. I'm new to all this so I hope I haven't made a fool of myself.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:39:23 PM by qbert »
I'm an old fart with a young mind. I have an IGT S2000 Double Diamond machine that was once in the Stratosphere in Vegas. Bought from Slot Depot in Fort Mohave, Az. about 2012.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Does the message change when you open the door? If yes, with door open turn JP key 3x and follow directions on display push button for 3 seconds, close door
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Post a picture of your MPU.
Want to see the chips installed and the battery areas.

Split to new post.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
I think I have isolated the problem to the bill validator. The yellow light never comes on and the validator just keeps recycling over and over. The display reads "display self-test passes" but it never goes to the memory test as it used to. All of this has come about since replacing the batteries on the motherboard. The machine used to function perfectly but to save on electricity I started turning it off at night or when we weren't playing it. It sat long enough that the cmos battery went dead and I noticed the large main battery had started to deteriorate so I replaced both of them. Now, I have this problem and can't figure out why.

I'm an old fart with a young mind. I have an IGT S2000 Double Diamond machine that was once in the Stratosphere in Vegas. Bought from Slot Depot in Fort Mohave, Az. about 2012.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
Post a picture of your MPU.
Want to see the chips installed and the battery areas.

Split to new post.
Is the MPU what I am calling the motherboard? I'll have to take it out. Back in a bit.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
The board in the tray is the MPU. The motherboard is the one that the tray plugs into on the back wall of the cabinet. And make sure the power is off when removing or installing it.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
Here it is.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
check your yellow battery,  it may be in backwards??  can't really tell when I enlarge it.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
check your yellow battery,  it may be in backwards??  can't really tell when I enlarge it.

Jim
YOu have a sharp eye. You might just be right. Thanks.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
Good eye Jim.
That's why we ask for pictures.
Also you can remove the green battery it is not required and causes problems down the road.
Let us know how it works out.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
Well folks, we are making some headway. I reinstalled the coin battery. Correctly this time I might add. Now, the machine goes through the boot process but stops and flashes over and over "door open M, closure B". I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
If that is flashing then try adjusting the photo eyes on the door..
Take a piece of masking tape and put it on the outside of the door where the optics are. Place tape on both the door and the cabinet. Open the door and put the latch in the closed position.  Now mark where the door optics are on the masking tape you put on the outside of the door. Next close and latch the door extend the mark you made on the door to the masking tape on the cabinet. Open the door and carefully loosen the screws holding the cabinet optics and move the optic so that it lines up with the tape mark you just made.
See if that does anything.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
I noticed the large main battery had started to deteriorate...

More than likely this is the cause of your door open m problem.  The leaking varta battery damaged circuit traces used by the door detection circuitry.  Try the alignment procedure, maybe you'll be lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
A new problem has cropped up now. I get a reel tilt message and the reels turn very slowly. I found that I can get rid of most of the error messages by raising and lowering the door latch button. None of this ever happened before I let the machine sit for a year or so. So any of this be caused by just the dampness in our air. I'm a mile from the ocean but the machine is in my office indoors. Also, someone mentioned damage from the Varta battery. Would it be visible to the naked eye? I looked but don't see any signs of broken or corroded traces. I'm a total newbie to slot repairs but I have a good basic understanding of mechanics and some electronics. I'm able to follow along here but I do appreciate it if you can be really clear on what you are suggesting. I'm not up on all the nomenclature and the component names. GO SLOW. I'm also 77 years old.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
Alignment will cause the problems you described.
Try slightly not closing the latch all the way down leave it push it all the way down and pick it up by an 1/8 inch and see if it works

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
I tried that. I have lifted the door, opened and closed the door and done everything I can think of. I depressed the little button and held it for 3 seconds and then turned the barrel key. The reels spun fast but then slowed down again. Now, I have 3 error messages, door M, closure B and general reel tilt. I'm really at a loss.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
Okay, here's the latest. I turned it on, it went through the boot process and spun the wheels but then they came to a very slow roll and I got a droning sound. I opened the door, pushed the tiny little button on the MBU and held it for 3 seconds. Then I turned the barrel key once and the droning stopped and the wheels spun. I closed the door and it seemed like it used to. I started feeding coins. Some would drop all the way through into the tray. When I got it to say 3 credits, I spun the wheels. They spun but I didn't get any payoffs. I did that 3 or 4 times. Each time, some of the coins dropped straight through to the tray but some stayed. I was able to play maybe 6 times and then all of a sudden the wheels went back into that slow roll and the droning sound came out of the speakers again. So, that's where I'm at. It seems to want to work as it should but just can't seem to find it's groove.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
I'm in Huntington Beach, Cal Anybody know anybody close to me? I'd sure love to have someone look at this thing.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
All of your issues are happening because the main door is not fully sensing that it's closed. That is solved with alignment of the optics like I described or the MPU  was damaged from the old leaking green battery.
That is why we don't replace that battery it ruins boards.
Yours however sounds more like alignment the optics are turning on and off. That's why coins are dropping through and reels are tilting etc.
Did you try the alignment?
Since you said moving the lever up just a touch did not work try moving the optic on the cabinet 1/16 to 1/8 inch up. If  you tried the alignment and this doesn't work most likely the MPU has gone bad.

Offline octoolguy

• NLG
I haven't done the sensor realignment yet. I'm going to do it tomorrow. Thanks so much. I have been watching a series of 4 youtube videos done by Ryengoth. He says he's on this forum but I can't locate him. Anyway, I think you are right about the door adjustment. I'll let you know. Thanks again. I'll see you tomorrow.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal