New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Tatung VS-14428 monitor issue ... horiz lines at top  (Read 25692 times)

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Game Maker monitor issue ... horiz lines at top
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
Well that confirms what should be there.
And, what I pulled out was the value for C906!
Interesting.
And thank you!
I wonder if I should just do the neck board and see what happens?
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
I wonder if I should just do the neck board and see what happens?
That's a thought, I wouldn't think it would hurt anything.

here's a picture that came up on google search, supposed to be the equivalent neck board, it is used on a 14" Tatung. Does it look like yours? The photo was not too sharp, so is hard to read the component writing on the board.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 09:28:57 PM »
Here's mine... looks like it.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »
It sure does look like the same board. I'm still trying to find schematic for neck board. I've seen a lot of requests for it, the answer is always a referral to contact a company called Merit, I think they own Tatung or do their service work. But this gives me another neck board part number to search for schematic.

Since the main problem you have with your monitor was the screen image tearing at the top then the problem may be on the main board, in the vertical (or horiz?) section. So just doing the neck board might not fix that. But you can try it after completing the neck board part of it to see what happens.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
Well it didn't explode! But the original problem is still there.
So I'm on to the main board. I think I'll save that for Friday though...
THANK YOU for all the help and support, so far.
Still that's strange on that cap being the wrong value. I wonder if it was put in that way originally when, whoever did the assembly, they just put in the value for C906?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Still that's strange on that cap being the wrong value. I wonder if it was put in that way originally when, whoever did the assembly, they just put in the value for C906?
You're probably right, someone at the factory saw the C906 written on bottom of board and looked at their list, inserted the 100uF cap.

Hard to say if it would make a difference without seeing the schematic. Just so I am clear, what value caps did you install for C905 and C906 and did it match what the cap kit list said? The guy you got the kit from may have schematics of the monitor, including neck board. Or maybe not. Wouldn't hurt to send him an email to see, while you take a break from soldering.

I did find a schematic of the neck board - I think - but it is just about unreadable. Looks like the worst scan ever. And the original drawing was made back in the day when the writing was done manually by hand, so it really gets blurry when enlarged. Check it out:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:48:25 AM by rokgpsman »

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
C905 is now a 4.7uf 50v and C906 is a 100uf 25v

Oh my! Impossible to read. It looks like cuneiform.  :rotfl:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:15 PM »
Whoa! I think yours is closer to making sense.  I'll check back in on your next part of it.

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
 :thank_you:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2015, 12:23:11 AM »
C905 is now a 4.7uf 50v and C906 is a 100uf 25v
well, I had too much caffeine, so continued to look into this, here's more info.

I found a readable Tatung neck board schematic that looks similar to yours (I think). It does show that C905 is 4.7uf and C906 is 100uf, which matches what you have. So maybe you can use this schematic as a guide even if it isn't exactly for your neck board it may be pretty close. It shows that C905 is just a coupling cap, blocking DC but allowing the BLUE video signal to pass thru, so it may not have mattered much if it was 100uF instead of 4.7uF.

Next I found a repair blog where someone had a screen image with horiz tearing at the top, similar to yours.  They had done the recapping but it didn't fix it. It was suggested to them to carefully check the resistors in the vertical circuit around IC701 LA7837, especially C714 and R720, circled in the center of the attached schematic. They also said a bad or leaky diode D702 has caused this problem. On your main board these parts may have different designators but hopefully they will be similar parts. Anyway, the guy said replacing C714 fixed his screen tearing problem. He said it was a Mylar cap, 100v. I don't know if C714 is in your cap kit, but after you are done recapping if the tearing problem is still there this might be something to look into.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:22:28 AM by rokgpsman »

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Just finished the re-cap. I'll check those other things now...

Where the hell did this insulating washer drop from???

Update: I didn't see anything obvious, but during my recap, I did see a LOT of bad solder joints, which I repaired. It appears this has been recapped somewhat... some I replaced but others that weren't part of the kit I got.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:55:10 PM by shortrackskater »

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »
Well crap... now I have the same tearing with a nice RED screen. I tried adjusting the RGB in the back separately (since I have to pull the CRT out) but didn't get any change, unless it's a combination of all three causing this. I need an extension cable.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 01:46:16 AM »
Odd that the screen color would change. That was C905 that you found they had put in a 100uF instead of 4.7uF, and it is in the Blue video input. I wonder if when they aligned it they had to set it differently since they had the wrong cap in there for C905? Not sure, didn't think it would matter. You can always reinstall a 100uF back in for C905 (like they had it) just to see if it affects screen color. On the equivalent caps in the Red and Green video input (C903, C904), did they also get changed in the cap kit work? If not, are they 4.7uF or 100uF?

Are you saying that adjusting the Red, Blue and Green video input pots (R950, R952, R953) didn't affect the screen colors? Or is it the pots R936, R937, R938?

We may need to get someone more familiar with monitor alignment than I am to give an opinion.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 06:46:29 AM »
Based on your picture you lost your green gun on the crt, blue and red are there. And quit messing with the crt board, it has absolutely no effect on picture size(vertical/horizontal)in any case. Those things are controlled through the yoke. Any stretching, shrinking, tearing, etc will be a product of cap, resistor, diode or IC problems in one of those circuits. If you can get your color straightened out I would find the pin out diagram for the vertical output IC and check all your voltages while it's running and go from there.

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
The problem is that I've never worked on a monitor before! So I just bought the cap kit and replaced everything. I had no idea that the CRT board didn't affect picture quality... :no:
Well, at least I learned how to tear a monitor completely apart and get it back together again.
I'll reinstall that different value cap and see if the color returns, then I'll report back.
Thanks cowboygames and rokgpsman.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
You could check to make sure all the connectors going to both boards fit properly, don't have a pin that got pushed back or bent over and causing the loss of the green signal. A cable or wire could have gotten tugged on or pulled while you had it apart. In particular check the cable carrying the red, blue and green signals from the main board to the crt board.

Also, you could check or replace that cap, diode and resistor I mentioned in an earlier comment (#49) that fixed the tearing on the other persons monitor from another repair blog. They are located in the vertical circuit.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:40:09 PM by rokgpsman »

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »
BUT... what I pulled out of the C905 hole was a 100uf cap and not the 4.7uf!
Would this have worked for however many years being the wrong value?  :Scratch-Head:
Maybe it would have been fine if it was just a filter cap and 4.7uF was going to be good, the 100uF would have just been extra smoothing, not needed but didn't hurt anything. Depends on the circuit.

EDIT: turned out C905 was a DC blocker/coupling cap so value was not critical.

Okay I pulled out the cap in the mismarked C906/905 hole and put the 100uf back in. The color is back to normal. Now I'm back to the tearing at the top.
So this cap actually IS C905 i think... and it did make a color difference... I'm confused now with it being a DC blocker. On the neck board, this cap is at the top of a line up of caps C903, C904
Now I'll check things from the earlier comments...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
That schematic we are using may not be the exact one for your neck board, or there may have been changes and updates to your board after that schematic was made. For whatever reason it looks like the 100uF works better. Are the caps at C903 & C904 also 100uF? They are the similar caps in the other color signal inputs.

As cowboygames said, the tearing in likely to be caused by something in the vertical circuit on the main board. That repair blog I referred to earlier said to check or replace things in the C714, R720, D702 area of IC701. Also, Q701 is right there in the same circuit and it may be the vert output transistor cowboygames mentioned. 

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »
If you're not familiar with circuit board numbering systems, in this case all vertical circuit components will be 700 series numbers. Makes it easier to pick them out of the jungle on the board versus following traces

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
Caps C903 and 904 are 4.7uf
This board looks like it had some revisions/rework done as well since there one cap just soldered on the back of the main pc board.
Okay I'll take out the main pc board and check those areas.
Funny... I was (sort of) looking forward to hearing a ZAP when I discharge but, so far... no  :lightningbolt: :lightningbolt: :lightningbolt: sound. Do these particular monitors self-discharge when powered off? It only sat a little while and I got nothing. I'm making sure there's a good connection to chassis ground too.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal