New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally e-series issues with MPU card AS-2978-3  (Read 4096 times)

Offline filounet

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • filounet New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally e-series issues with MPU card AS-2978-3
« on: May 25, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
Hello all !

I am new on this site and I saw that many of you are very aware of Bally e-series slots.
I have few Bally slots e-series 1000 and 2000 and I am still repairing some of them.
I have some issues with 2 machines, a E2238 and a E2090 and I hope you could help me:

•   I have good output voltages of transformers on the primary and secondary side
•   I have good voltages at the input and output regulation card
•   I have good voltages on I / O and MPU voltage regulators (model AS-2978-3 and AS-2978-7) for 12 and 5 volts
•   The triacs are ok at the I / O cards
•   I have no battery and trickle problems on the cards or deterioration
•   The machines work well at the mechanical level
•   I changed the phototransistors of the "real" cards
•   One machine does not display and the second just writes a "7"

I do not have electronic schemas of MPU cards of the AS-2978-3 and do not know where to look for the issue?
Can you help me?
Thanks for your help
Filounet  :EmoticonHelp4:

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally e-series issues with MPU card AS-2978-3
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »
Hi and welcome to NLG...    :wav: :NLG_WELCOME: :dancing_party:

I see you say you have two voltages, 5 & 12, But I don't see you saying anything about the voltages off the Power Supply? You should have 5V, 7.5V and 10V off the 3 test loops. One big problem with these games are that the PS plug looses it's connection with tarnished pins and crimp connections. You want to check the PS plug for burnt areas on the plug.. The other thing to check is the condition of the ribbon cables ends that connects the IO and MPU. The pins get bent or broken off. Also check the plug on your doors display for the same.. The game should power up and play without a battery..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »
Hello all !

I am new on this site and I saw that many of you are very aware of Bally e-series slots.
I have few Bally slots e-series 1000 and 2000 and I am still repairing some of them.
I have some issues with 2 machines, a E2238 and a E2090 and I hope you could help me:

•   I have good output voltages of transformers on the primary and secondary side
•   I have good voltages at the input and output regulation card
•   I have good voltages on I / O and MPU voltage regulators (model AS-2978-3 and AS-2978-7) for 12 and 5 volts
•   The triacs are ok at the I / O cards
•   I have no battery and trickle problems on the cards or deterioration
•   The machines work well at the mechanical level
•   I changed the phototransistors of the "real" cards
•   One machine does not display and the second just writes a "7"

I do not have electronic schemas of MPU cards of the AS-2978-3 and do not know where to look for the issue?
Can you help me?
Thanks for your help
Filounet  :EmoticonHelp4:
PM me and I can give you a drop box link to download schematics for the E-series.
Badbaud
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:14:41 AM »
Hi and thank you for you reactivity  :hail: :yes:
 I already controlled 5V, 7.5V and 10V out of the 3 test loops and it's OK
What’s the PS plug?  :Scratch-Head:
The plug on your door is ok too
Thank you and have a good day
Filounet

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 07:54:25 AM »
The 20 pin header molex plug on the power supply (PS). The solder joints on the that header pin connection develop cold solder joint connections. Plus the crimp connections inside that plug tarnish and loose there connection. If your machine has the newer style plug where the wires are crimped to the plug at a 90 degree angle instead of straight in, well that newer styles junk. I don’t know the name of the newer style plug, but the ones I’ve seen in the 20 pin style are yellow in color and they have a black cap on the plug.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
I'm sorry but I do not understand or search on my two cards IO and MPU?
Filounet

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »
I see one major problem. Your rib looks cable that connects the IO board and the IO Board is installed upside down!! The red line or side of the ribbon cable faces down towards the closest side of the boards. Carefully remove this ribbon cable and turn it over so the red faced down on BOTH ENDS.. The pins on these plugs are very fragile so be careful. I’m guessing someone replaced this one because it’s so long.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
This is the IO Board side. Same thing here, Red side down.. To do this you will have to fold the cable back over the plug when installed. You will have to do it on both ends.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
Here are 2 pictures I saved of the correct way.
And remember...

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
Ok it's done but now the coils do not stop working!   :banghead:

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »
I had that happen before, but I don’t remember exactly what the problem was? I think it was the capacitor that control the yellow relay. Have you taken the ram board off the MPU? You might want to do that and inspect the ram boards edge connectors for any acid damage.
And remember...

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »
yes I have already checked the memory card with the multimeter

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
Reverse the cable ONLY on the I/O board this time.

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 04:10:33 AM »
Hi,

the coils don't stop even by reversing the connection :Scratch-Head:
Have a nice day :CaptainHappy:

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 06:03:02 AM »
The coils not stopping is usually caused by the ribbon cable from the MPU board to the I/O board being plugged in backwards.

Offline Toyguy

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Toyguy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »

I don't have one of these machines, but the safest thing to do is look at the boards and identify pin 1.  It looks like Bally may be marking them with a white dot from all of the pictures.  The red stripe goes to pin 1.  You should also try to verify if the original Bally-provided cable was a straight through ribbon cable, since yours appears to not be original.  Ribbon cables can be made with a twist in some of the wires by splitting the cable and turning a piece of it 180 degrees.  You'll probably need an owner who has one to verify that for you.

First thing though, I'd locate pin 1 and match up the red stripe - see what happens once that's done.

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »
it's true this cable comes from another machine but I'm sure it works
There is no pin 1 visible
I tested the 2 cards with the cable on each side and all the welds sound so which validates the cable and the welds in and out, it's not the right track for me
By plugging up the two red markers I do not have the problem even if the machine does not work in the end

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
I have had bad MPU boards do the solenoid chatter before. Normally the number one pin is marked with a red strip on the ribbon cable or a dot on the plug. These face down in these Bally  E-Series machines.
And remember...

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »
Do you have a scope? There is a 2 uF cap used to regulate the output of the 5V regulators and when it gets weak it allows the 5V to pulse with noise.

Offline filounet

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
Hi

I reconnected my original red / red cable at the bottom and more reel noise
I still have the code 7 of departure
Do you have the code for the 2 uF capacitor on the schema?

Thank you for your help
Filounet

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal