New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Code 12, changed battery -> 61 -> 61-1 -> now no display  (Read 4346 times)

Offline KrazyKatLady

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • KrazyKatLady New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Code 12, changed battery -> 61 -> 61-1 -> now no display
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
I was visiting over Father's day weekend and my Dad's S+ was suffering from a code 12.
My brother and I were able to find and replace the battery, test it - looked good, closed it up and got the expected code 61 followed by 61-1.
At this point we didn't have a jackpot reset key and honestly were just giving our best guess in what we were doing.
I'm not sure what exactly we were doing when we lost all read out, but it would have been beyond opening and closing the door, hitting the internal reset switch or at most bridging the reset key connectors with the door open.
No candles, no readouts, to diagnostic mode.

The machine powers on and lights up, bill reader cycles, reels do not cycle but they have power and tension.
Fuses look fine. I'm guessing we have a problem with the board connection and it's not just a display down.  Coins fall through and there is no game play. We didn't try the bill reader.

We eventually tried running wires from the jackpot reset to the outside of the machine so we could bridge it with the door closed to simulate (hopefully) a key turn.  Took the board out and tried resetting it a couple times.  We got nothing. I had to leave and am sending my brother back a jackpot reset key, clear and set chips.  Just fearing that it is too late for any of those to be useful with no read out or access to the diagnostic mode.  Does any of this sound familiar? Is it likely we killed the whole board?

Thanks for any input!
KKL

Online Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
Re: Code 12, changed battery -> 61 -> 61-1 -> now no display
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
Usually it is a bad connection on the mail power plug on the backplane board.

The backplane board is the one that the main game board plugs into.

The 6 pin white connector has so much current going through it that after time the pins turn black and don't allow full current flow.

You could unplug the connector and clean the backplane board side pins (header) with a green scotch pad.

But if the tin on the post is showing pitting or copper exposed the header will have to be replaced.

On the connector side you can remove a wire and pin by pressing down on the keeper window and compressing the keeper so the wire and pin slide out then clean the pin and widen it out so it can grab the post better. Spread the keeper back out with a razor blade slightly so it latches into the keeper hole.

If the game still doesn't come up you can then try clearing it with a clear chip but that process also clears the EEPROM on the backplane board so if you have a bill validator you will have to use a set chip to re-enable the bill validator.

Did you use a 3.6V lithium battery? Is it in the correct way (+) towards edge of board.?
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline KrazyKatLady

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »
Good to know, I will forward the connection information to my brother.

The battery was a match, tested after installation, and double checked when we started having problems.

Thanks!

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
You guys didn't pull the MPU out while the power was still on did you? That can cause a multitude of problems. Also turning (bridging) the reset needs to be done with the door closed and the latch all the way down. And Welcome to NLG. Hope we can help you.
Dave
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:15:30 PM by Shaggy »
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »
Once you remove the battery you have to do a RAM CLEAR...If you have a Bill validator you will also have to enable the BV with a BV set chip...Hopefully you did not pull the MPU board out will powered on...IF you did, you most likely fried the MPU board...

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
I have replaced batteries on S+ machines and didn't have to do a clear. The 61, 61-1 and close the door and latch it and turn the reset key. My Haywire fired right up and worked perfectly. I think you only need the clear if you're stuck in the 61 loop. Unless you change SP chips and get it out of the 61 that way.
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »
Sounds like he is if it won't reset...

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
They never got it to that point because they didn't have a reset key. And I believe they tried to short the reset connection with the door open. Not sure exactly what is going on here. Need a little more info.

Online Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
I still think it is a bad power plug on the backplane.

Just fixed one with the same exact problem last week.

If they remove the coin tray then close the door all of the way the 61-1 will go away by shorting the two wires they extended out from the reset key switch.

Also the initialization is not instant it takes 30 seconds or more for the board to come up and show a display.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »
Once you remove the battery you have to do a RAM CLEAR...

This is not true.  Heck, on some S+ machines I haven't even had to clear a 61 error after a battery change.

I still think it is a bad power plug on the backplane.

I agree.  With the power off, remove the hopper, remove the MPU board/tray, and check the power plug that runs from the power supply to the fixed motherboard.  I suspect you'll see a burn mark like in the following post:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=8305.msg72831#msg72831

Simply removing the plug and re-plugging it a few times should be enough to temporarily get the machine to work again.  A more permanent fix would be to get a replacement wire harness.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Online Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
Ya, that power plug header on the backplane board can be very deceptive.

We usually take a known good backplane board with us on service calls, one with a new 6 pin power header soldered into the board.

I swapped out the customer's backplane board and got the machine working.

Back at the shop I took a closer look at the 6 pin header on their board.

What I found was a couple of pins that looked shiny and good but with a little cleaning with a scotch pad the shiny tin slipped right off of the pin and underneath I found a black, burned pin that would show no conduction when tested with a Ohm meter.

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:34:29 AM »
Not saying it is 100% everytime...Just saying my opinion on what they have stated...Sounds like a wait and see game...Hopefully KrazyKatLady will post a final solution to their problem...

Offline Ron (r273)

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:53 AM »
Just a reminder, in the photo on the old site. I took that years ago and  I turned the power plug around to see the burnt spot on the plug.  :yes:
I'm retired....My job is having a good time with my slots.   Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline KrazyKatLady

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations to check out, I am forwarding them all on.

We did not pull the MPU with power on, but we did try bridging the reset with the door open.

It would be a couple days yet before the key shows up in the mail but hopefully I can have some of this checked out before then.  I will definitely update again with what happens or what he finds.

Thanks!
KKL

Offline KrazyKatLady

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
So, not surprisingly, the key didn't help us get any further than we already were. I forwarded this to my brother and asked him to check things out, he said it all looked good, but it kinda sounded like was just checking the board and not the power supply connection :/

The only thing that looks different in this situation is in the other example of the power supply the reels did not have power, correct?
When I was there last the reels most definitely still had tension when the machine was on.

Either way, looks like this is on indefinite hold until I get back out to visit or they find someone local to take a look at it.
Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations!

KKL

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal