New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: SEGA / mechanical slot - payout issue, and GENERAL issues/info  (Read 21366 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Mills mechanism payout issue. (Okay it's a Sega...shhhhh!)
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
Yes the spring was gone! I put on another I had (bought a bag of springs a long time ago just for the heck o fit) and, so far, so good.
Reading your note on adjustment now... :)
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Jackpot

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Jackpot New User barely matters.Jackpot New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • The Sugar Shack Antique coin operated machines
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »
Yes the spring was gone! I put on another I had (bought a bag of springs a long time ago just for the heck o fit) and, so far, so good.
Reading your note on adjustment now... :)
I forgot where I read this, but I remember that proper adjustment is to have the slides push out 1/16" past the slide holding lever, and that works for me.
Jackpot :propeller: :drool04: :drool04: :agreepost:
Buy-Sale-Repair-Restore old slot machines. I have parts for older mechanical slots, and also Bally E series, and others of this period and newer. http://www.coinslots.com

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
It seems to be that distance... ish.
So far, most all pays are correct now with the exception of the two cherries occasionally paying two coins and not five, but then other times it does. I think the reels and stops need some de-gumming. When the wrong pay happens, one reel doesn't appear to lock fully in when the solenoid lets the fan go.
I have to work soon... damn work. If I'm energetic enough tonight, maybe I'll shoot a little video and you can actually see and hear when the solenoid kicks in. I almost want to remove all that stuff... when I lower the fan stop lever, it works like a regular slot. Tempting to just remove it.

... I just let it spin freely after a pull and it DOES autostop after about thirty seconds...interesting.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
It seems to be that distance... ish.
So far, most all pays are correct now with the exception of the two cherries occasionally paying two coins and not five, but then other times it does. I think the reels and stops need some de-gumming. When the wrong pay happens, one reel doesn't appear to lock fully in when the solenoid lets the fan go.
I have to work soon... damn work. If I'm energetic enough tonight, maybe I'll shoot a little video and you can actually see and hear when the solenoid kicks in. I almost want to remove all that stuff... when I lower the fan stop lever, it works like a regular slot. Tempting to just remove it.

... I just let it spin freely after a pull and it DOES autostop after about thirty seconds...interesting.
I am impressed with this machine and that skill stop coil and skill stop future, I wish I could see what this all looks with a photo showing the whole mechanism. I think you have found you main problems now and the one problem left is that outside finger, the cherry finger, maybe the spring on that one is not strong enough, try a little stronger spring so you can get consistent action on that finger, then maybe we can adjust it or the spring might just do it. It is Interesting going back through this thread, it is so easy to get off on the wrong road in fixing things. The time it takes to really understand what is happening and how it works, what it is not doing and what it should be doing pays off all the time, and keeps you on the right road. Nothing worse then screwing up everything and finding out your not even close to the real problem, I have been there.
Jackpot :soapbox_3:
Buy-Sale-Repair-Restore old slot machines. I have parts for older mechanical slots, and also Bally E series, and others of this period and newer. http://www.coinslots.com

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 12:06:55 AM »
Well I got home late from work but just couldn't resist going out to the garage to play with the new toy. So far, it's all working fine. But just once time, for the two cherries, it paid just two instead of four coins again. But when it did that, I noticed the arm had not fully returned to the top. The next few plays I just pulled the arm and "helped" it back to the topmost point. The next time it hit two cherries, it paid fine. So tomorrow I may remove the piston and clean it all up and see if that helps the arm to return fully... or faster and fully.
And I do want to see if I can "rig" it easily to not be a skill stop machine It was fun for about ten minutes, then I wanted it to be a NORMAL slot machine!  :rotfl:

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 08:33:38 AM »
Super, you use neatsfoot oil in that pump, that is a leather oil for shoes, the pump has a leather seal inside, it might just be dry. At the door end of the pump there is a screw with a nut on on it, this is so you can back the screw out and lock it in position with the nut. As you back the screw out it opens a small vent hole to allow more air in, and faster thus speeding up the handle. If you take that screw all the way out you can add your oil in that screw hole. One of those "zoom spout" oil jugs works great for this.
Jackpot :drool04:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »
It is Interesting going back through this thread, it is so easy to get off on the wrong road in fixing things. The time it takes to really understand what is happening and how it works, what it is not doing and what it should be doing pays off all the time, and keeps you on the right road. Nothing worse then screwing up everything and finding out your not even close to the real problem, I have been there.
Jackpot :soapbox_3:

And since I checked all the stuff you and Fatman asked... I was able to learn a lot along the way. :thank_you: Now I'm not so scared of these mechanical beasts! I might have to buy a few more!
I should mark this topic SOLVED, but I  may just keep adding to this thread until I've got it in better shape.

Offline dhellis

• Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »
I would hope that you would continue to update the thread because not everyone is familiar with these old machines
and that includes myself. It is nice to read and learn.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
Maybe I'll "unsolve" it and modify the topic for this particular slot. It IS an oddball. So far, I've found nothing like this on the internet. There's lots of Sega models that are very similar but I haven't seen any reference to a skill stop.

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »
Maybe I'll "unsolve" it and modify the topic for this particular slot. It IS an oddball. So far, I've found nothing like this on the internet. There's lots of Sega models that are very similar but I haven't seen any reference to a skill stop.
I myself would like to see a few photo of just your mechanism so I can see how your skill stop setup looks like, I have never see this on a Sega, you could have a rare item here.
Jackpot :agreepost:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
Photos on the way!! Heck maybe I'll do a video too!

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
Photos on the way!! Heck maybe I'll do a video too!
Now that wold be cool! I am real happy that you got these problems fixed, and yes, that is how you learn these machines, it think it is called trail by [blink]FIRE.[/blink] :thank_you: [/b]
Jackpot

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
Okay here's the front, sides, and back of the machine in high resolution. I also shot the inside of the case and the sticker on the back panel. One thing I can say: this machine is built like a brick. The case alone is very heavy! It's SOLID wood and metal... more metal but the sides are wood. It's a hell of a lot more solid than my newer Mills M head. The bottom of the case has a round mount for a stand to hold the machine and overflow change... there's no cash box but there's a place for one in the machine. I may just make up one for it since it has the chute routed for a box in a stand.

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
WOW, that is one optioned out mechanism, it has everything and that skill stop with fan stop is some great stuff!
Jackpot :yes: :yes: :yes: :wave:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
I've made MORE progress. I'm also happy I stockpile sh*t I bought on ebay and from members here... errr STUFF that I bought because it comes in handy: the reason the handle was "slow" was that the return spring was missing! I think that's important, right?  :Tongue_Out:
I'm happy I have my Mills M head and Mills "Open Face" (It seems to have no real name) to look at.
I happened to have the perfect spring for it, in my bag O springs. I also stuck a new bulb in one of the two sockets for florescent bulbs. I wasn't quite sure if the starters were for that bulb but, it fit and I just flicked on the power and it worked! I just put in the upper tube. There's a spot for a lower one but it's plenty bright with just one bulb. Amazing how an illuminated mechanical slot looks! Too bad it's missing the top display. So far, so good! I have one more teeny issue I think, but I'm going to cycle it a few more times and see if that "two cherry" issue comes up again.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
Here's my next question/issue. The center disk isn't quite as aligned as the other two. I'm poking through my "care and understanding" book and can't find it. The reel hub itself has two screws that are on very tight. Is that where I loosen to make the adjustment of the disk?

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
Here's my next question/issue. The center disk isn't quite as aligned as the other two. I'm poking through my "care and understanding" book and can't find it. The reel hub itself has two screws that are on very tight. Is that where I loosen to make the adjustment of the disk?
To me, those notches look to be adjusted nicely, it you were any closer then they are, when the disks were 180 degrees, they would probably be off and maybe not lock. Adjusting this by loosening those two screws between the reels would do nothing for your strip. I can see you center strip down a tad, if you want to fix that you would need to uncrimp the reel strip and just slide it a little. When the index lever, index's the reel, this is where the reel always wants to sit, so if the strip is off a bit I would just slide it. Reel bundles are not that easy to deal with, there can be a lot of adjustments and a lot that can go to hell on you. If your reel is indexed hard and those notches look lined up as yours are, I would change nothing, but I would slip the strip a little to make me happy.
Jackpot
Jackpot

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Re: SEGA / Mills mechanism payout issue, and other issues...
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 11:00:33 PM »
I didn't make my question clear ... didn't finish it... :duh:
What I meant to add was - would that middle reel disk notch alignment be the cause of my occasional wrong pay, where it pays two instead of five? I sort of said that in my previous post but I think I didn't make it clear enough. I'm not too picky on alignment unless it really is causing a payout problem.
Weird thing... so far it's working fine. I guess I need to manually check each cherry in the center reel and see what happens.
I'm not sure if I want to uncrimp the reel strip!  :CaptainHappy_worried: I'm okay with how they look.

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »
I didn't make my question clear ... didn't finish it... :duh:
What I meant to add was - would that middle reel disk notch alignment be the cause of my occasional wrong pay, where it pays two instead of five? I sort of said that in my previous post but I think I didn't make it clear enough. I'm not too picky on alignment unless it really is causing a payout problem.
Weird thing... so far it's working fine. I guess I need to manually check each cherry in the center reel and see what happens.
I'm not sure if I want to uncrimp the reel strip!  :CaptainHappy_worried: I'm okay with how they look.
OK, I thought you had the cherry problem fixed, sorry. So what is this problem? Do you get only two coins when you should get five every once in a while? is that what is wrong? If so, did you try to shorted that spring or add a little stronger spring to that outside finger as we talked about before? This would help it push those horizontal  fingers in all the way for the 5 pay. Be detailed as this can be all kinds of things. As for you question to the three notches not lining up perfect, no, this is not your problem.
 :Scratch-Head:  Jackpot  :garfield:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »
OK, I thought you had the cherry problem fixed, sorry. So what is this problem? Do you get only two coins when you should get five every once in a while? is that what is wrong? If so, did you try to shorted that spring or add a little stronger spring to that outside finger as we talked about before? This would help it push those horizontal  fingers in all the way for the 5 pay. Be detailed as this can be all kinds of things. As for you question to the three notches not lining up perfect, no, this is not your problem.
 :Scratch-Head:  Jackpot  :garfield:

Thanks!!!

Ok soon as I get home I'll shorten that spring but ... Is this the spring that also operates the safety slide?
I think I need to buy a "junker" mechanical slot and rebuild it bottom up! Isn't that the best way to learn?
UPDATE: That's the one I replaced, and so far all is good! My next post will be something kind of COOL...well a cheap cosmetic "fix."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:47:59 PM by shortrackskater »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal