New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S2000 project in progress  (Read 978 times)

Offline Brada

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Brada New User has no influence.
  • NLG
S2000 project in progress
« on: March 18, 2024, 03:42:33 PM »
Hello!

I picked up this S2000 in an unknown state. First wouldn’t power up at all. Found an issue with the power supply, will now power up. After getting it to power up got errors that all indicated bad battery on the board. Currently removing Varta battery and replacing dead coin battery with a cr2032 holder. Wondering what else I’m gonna be in for when I get the board fixed. I pulled the coin comparitor and it’s got an El Cortez dollar token in it. Looks to be similar dimensions to the Eisenhower dollars. Are there any tokens out there that are similar size? Can you still get Eisenhower dollars for a dollar or are they all collector coins now? What would it take to switch it over to modern dollar coins or even quarters? I’m assuming a different comparitor and hopper? Or would I be better off to make it Tito only? It has a ticket printer installed but no bill validator or cash box. Open to any suggestions!  Thanks!

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S2000 project in progress
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 06:44:11 PM »
See that round plastic thing with the "Slide" label over the El Cortez coin?
Push that black plastic to the side enough so you can remove the El Cortez coin out of the coin comparitor.
Then install an American dollar coin in there as your Sample Coin.
I'm going to guess you might need a different sized wheel shelf in the coin hopper.
Also maybe a smaller coin slot on the deck and maybe even a smaller coin-in optics guide that sandwiched in there?
The set-up that's in there now might be only for the large tokens....you'd have to change out a few things to make it work for the smaller quarters...maybe not.
Ayways, you'll know when the coin hopper has to pay out if it'll work with quarters or not.

Hey...are you missing the black & blue Universal Bill Acceptor (UBA) ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 08:41:27 AM by shortrackskater »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 10:18:17 AM »
Yes, I am missing a bill acceptor as well as a cash box. There is a piece of plastic in the coin comparitor that will not let it slide down onto a smaller coin, maybe that can be removed? Not sure what programming will be needed to get the machine working, again wondering if I would be better off to program out the coin mech and use a Tito with a uba.

Offline hotlsot

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 11:11:14 AM »
That coin comparitor is for large coins only. If you want to run a quarter machine you'll need a different CC.

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 06:01:19 PM »
I got my board back installed with a new cr2032 and Varta battery removed. When I power up I get RAM ERROR. From reading on here I need to turn reset key a few times then hold the button on the board.
After turning the key once it says “ GAME EPROM CRC MISMATCH
-0xB000001”
After turning twice it says “NON-RECOVERABLE DADA ERROR”
Third time “SOME CRITICAL DATA WILL BE LOST”
Fourth time is press test switch 2-3 seconds. After I do that it says “PLEASE CLOSE THE MAIN DOOR” and I cannot get that to go away. I’ve read about the Varta battery eating at the door closure traces, but this board looks perfect. What do I need to try next? Including a picture of the board.

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 07:20:19 AM »
It DOES sound like your door optics are NOT seeing the door when closed right?
If the lamps are okay, the candle should be flashing as well?

You need to check the operation of the door optics.
The optic on the door is an emitter.
The optic on the cabinet side is a receiver.
They need to "see" each other to get that message to go away.

Try playing with the door latch wiggling up and down, to see if you can get them to line up and also watch to see if you can get the number in the [Coins Played] window to go out momentarily.
If you can do that, it will stay off for a couple of seconds, then come back on, and sometimes spin up the reels.
Sequentially, the bill acceptor entryway bezel light should light up - indicating that the bill validator is ready to accept bills.
What you don't see is at that same moment, the coin comparitor is also ready to accept coins - if your machine has the coin mech unit installed.

Another way to see if the door emitter is working, is by looking at it with a digital video camera - you may have one on your cellphone?
When viewing the door emitter with it, you should see a somewhat faint, flickering blue-ish light emitting from the diode.
To check the cabinet receiver optic requires a multimeter, checking for certain voltages.

Also, another way to check the door optics is to run the Processor Input Tests (Option: [4.1.3]).
It's somewhat a lot harder to do if you've never done it before.
If you really want to try it, we can tell you how.

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 08:07:27 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 12:01:44 PM »
I’m not getting anything to light up on the red lcd screens, winner paid, credits, and credits played are all dark. The light behind the $1 also does not light up. I tried looking at the door emitter with my camera and see nothing. Is there a common denominator that provides power to all of these things in the door? I can grab my multimeter and check power if I know where to check. Thanks!

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 03:31:34 PM »
Let's try to help you here ?
It sounds like you're missing power.
It's strange that you have power to the blue VFD display but not to that smaller rectangular display panel up above the printer?
History....have you ever seen that dsplay work before?
Is the harness plugged into it?
Also, use your multimeter set on continuity to check the denomination lampto see if it's burned out or not.
Unscrew the lamp socket from the display panel plastics and touch the two copper tabs inside the socket on each side of the T1-3/4 wedge bulb.

Slide out the coin hopper and place aside for now.
Set your multimeter for like 200vdc.
You need to see if three different voltages are reaching the backplane crcuit board the MPU slides into.
Put the red probe on three different pins into the power connector housing in the photo I've attached to this Reply below.
That power connector comes directly from the power supply, up behind the reel shelf, to the bottom right-hand side of the backplane board.
The black probe of your multimeter can be just touching the floor of the cabinet.
Let us know what voltages you get on the three pins.

Also, push the power supply unit on the back wall into the main connector pins better.
Sometimes during a move, that power supply tends to get loosened from the main connector on the right-hand side of it.
There's a tightening screw on the left sideof the power supply unit (PSU).
You may have to tighten it.
The best way to get at the PSU is to remove the reels from the reel shelf.

Finally, lets see the back of your door panel.
I wanna see if anything's missing or outta place.

Click on the photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:58:57 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 07:50:18 PM »
I have not seen the display work, machine was purchased as a project knowing absolutely nothing about it. Trying to see if I can get to the bottom of it. Figured it’d be the best way to learn!

Harnesses are all plugged in. The denomination lamp did end up being burned out, checking voltage where the lamp plugs in I do have 13v.

Backplane connector, black 6.5v, red 13v, orange 25v. Power supply seems to be seated well, I removed and reinstalled, all pins look good. Attaching pictures of back side of door as well as behind belly door.

I got a couple boxes of spare parts, in them was another winner paid/credits circuit board. Tried plugging that one in and still nothing. Can’t guarantee that one works though either as I haven’t personally tried it. The top candle does start flashing as soon as the ram error happens, and goes off after the JP reset key is turned 4 times.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 08:08:26 PM by Brada »

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 05:34:45 AM »
After that you may be instructed, on the blue VFD display to press and hold in the test button for a few seconds, then close the door.
Your power connector on the backplane voltages are good...6.5V, 13V and 25V :cool_thumb_up:
Idk why your other display doesn't come on?  ???
I'm nowhere near a machine right now.
I'd have to pull out a wiring schematics drawing for that display to tell you what voltages should be on that wiring harness. :sherlock:
I'd put a jumper wire in on the door optics for now, since you're not seeing any light come out of the door emitter.

Look below...>>>

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 06:22:19 AM »
okay I found it.
There's 2 connectors.
One is a 12-pin, (2-row of six pins) Molex Senet connector.
The other is a much smaller 2-pin Molex Power connector....there's a difference but the smaller one is for the power to that 7-segment display board.
They both have a red wire that matches the ones you've checked on the backplane earlier (Red 13v and Orange 25v).

You may notice, there's a red wire on both of these plugs going into the back of the 7-segment display.
The red wire would be on pin-9 on the larger [J51] plug (On the drawing, the black square is pin-1).
The red wire would be on pin-1 on the smaller 2-pin [J2] plug (That pin on the drawing also has a black square depicting pin-1).
I'm going to guess the smaller Molex is just a red & green wired harness....check the red one across the black pin for 13volts.
Also, check that ribbon cable from the Power Distribution Unit box (PDU) to the backplane.
Sometimes it gets loose.

Here's a couple of drawings for you.
Click on drawings below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:42:51 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 07:59:15 AM »
Did a little more checking this morning. I noticed the belly door switch had been removed. I placed a jumper across the green wires. I did have 13v on both connectors of the display. Figured I’d try closing the door and see what happens. Immediately said checking memory, cycled through message and after that the red lcds started working.  When power is cycled it boots up and does memory check. The reels spin off then I get the errors “CALL ATTENDANT” “DOOR OPEN M” and “Coin-In Jam”

We’re getting closer! 😊

Edit: after opening and closing the main door “door open m” has switched to “closure m”

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 11:27:42 AM »
I was reading on the coin-in jam error and did a little diagnosing. I inspected all the wiring down to the I/O board and all looked good. Removed board and inspected all pins and all looks good. I am not getting any led lights on the I/O board. Are there pinouts somewhere to check the power supply and anything else with that? I have a newer looking I/O board model 14940201W in my box of spare parts, is this interchangeable? Connections look to be the same. Thanks, Brad

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 12:06:12 PM »
I warn you...do NOT pull out or push in those I/O boards while the machine's power switch is ON.
In fact, I stress that's you will be much happier if you turn off the power anytime you remove or replace electronic parts....it saves you money...haha
There's a small capacitor chip on these small circuit boards that WILL explode, and render the I/O card dead.

My question now for you is...which I/O card are you talking about?
The one on the top of the door panel under the button deck for the deck buttons, or the one on the side of the MPU enclosure box?
Can you show a photo of it?
Also, we need to see a clearer photo of where the green Varta battery used to be.
The circuit traces nearby may be lacking continuity due to acidic corrosion long before the battery was removed.
There are folks on NLG that are experts at repairing these eaten circuit board traces that cause all these errors you're seeing on the display.
They know how to fix the traces and remove parts that are NOT needed for home use.
I outlined the area in yellow on your MPU we need a better photo of - to see the circuit traces.

Let me show you a blown I/O card...see the one on the left?
That yellow chip is supposed to be at the [C5] location...lol

Click on any photo below to enlarge if you wish.
I aways re-size at least one side of my photos via Windows Paint to 1000kb, to fit into Replies...>>>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 12:25:08 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 12:32:11 PM »
One of the first things I was told before I ever put hands on the machine was to always have power off before doing anything! 😊

I am speaking of the I/O board in the door, not the one on the side of the MPU. I am attaching a photo of it in my hand showing the C5 chip intact, in the picture it almost looks burned but that is a shadow from the legs of the molex connector. Also including a closer picture where the Varta battery was.

Question, I do not have a bill validator or cash box to install yet. Would those two pieces missing cause the coin-in jam error?

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 12:39:54 PM »
I forgotten to mention that your "Door Closure M" is good.
It's only a informational message informing that the door was recently opened...it's not an "error" message.

Make sure no pins underneath that I/O card is touching each other or bent before you push it back in.

The I/O photo was a much better, higher resolution photograph than the trace photo?
I cannot make it any larger to see the traces better.
You may need to send the MPU in for repair, but I'm not sure yet.
Look at the sizes of the two photos you've posted up.

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2024, 01:16:15 PM »
Trying to post better picture. If this doesn’t work I’ll have to get a better one when I get home later.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2024, 05:13:48 PM »
Very good.
Your MPU has badly damaged circuit traces under where the Varta battery once was located at, as far as I can see.
I would suggest for you to send it out to a member named Lookes.
You may email him at:

slots@lookelectronics.com

Send him your MPU photo, and the error messages you are seeing on the VFD display.
He may have more info for you at that point.
There's nothing more I can do from here, until he looks at your board.
Good luck!

Offline t28c34

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • t28c34 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 11:29:36 AM »
I've been following along with you post having the same issues with no winner paid, credits and total bet lights and not getting past the close door message after removing the Varta battery. I cleaned the area pretty good with contact cleaner but was still getting the message. I took the board back out and cleaned and scrubbed it better with contact cleaner. Then inspecting very close and not seeing anything suspicious. Put it back together and it fired right up with all the lights on and machine running like it should. I would say it's your board with bad tracers.

Offline Brada

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 11:56:34 AM »
I was thinking I need to pull the board and do some cleaning with contact cleaner. Did you just clean in the area of the Varta, top and bottom?

This board is a model 1952-2, I also have a spare 1952-0 in my box of parts. Are these interchangeable for testing purposes, and if so which chips would I have to move from the 1952-2 to get the machine to attempt to boot happily with the 1952-0?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal