New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Just want to say Hi and ask a few questions - Game King  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Keats

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Keats New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Just want to say Hi and ask a few questions - Game King
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »
20 Feb 2020
O.K.
New question.. I'm getting sa message of call attendant. When I check further, it reads "GK SHA Failure check and replace flash". I tried to restart it a couple times but no luck.
The breaker was off for this outlet while electrical work was being done. When the breaker was thrown again, (on) this message appeared.

I can't find anything that tells me what a SHA is.  So what does this mean.?  Is there a fuse that may have blown? Any ideas of what to do now?

By the way, I was able to see the version on the machine by using off -track's info. A small white sticker on the board reads "44" and directly below this it reads "GKB00036"

Please help..
KeatsPeoria, Az.
 :banghead:

Offline wizeone

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • wizeone New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 12:27:04 PM »
sha failure means the board went bad.  a small static discharge can kill it.. the semi good news is sometimes you can get around that error by getting a dev39 chip (hit up RB here  on the site about it)..  the gkb00036 is just the boot chip not the software version

would be the yellow arrow in the pic (the blue arrow points to the boot/keychip position)

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
For the record SHA is a type of checksum used to verify the contents of the software on the board.  The game will check the SHA to make sure it has not modifications to it by comparing the calculated checksum with what is known to be correct, if just 1 byte is off, it will fail the check.  A static discharge, surge, etc can mess with the flash memory creating those errors.  Hit up RB for the Dev 39 chip.  It has an option to bypass the SHA check and will allow the game to play if the damage is not too severe.  Sometimes you will never be able to tell the board has an issue, other times you will notice either garbled graphics, sound hiccups, and sometimes the game will just hang.  Your only other solution is to try to have the flash board reprogrammed by someone who has the hardware necessary to do so, or buy another working flash board.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Ukphil

• Reputation Power: 7
  • Ukphil New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
Rb supplied me with a dev 39 chip
I had written my sha failure board off as unusable
Fitted the 39 chip and bingo its working again👍👍👍

Offline Keats

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
Update..Talked to the lady that sold the machine to the family that I bought it from. She said that the flash board was bad. Said it is very easy to fail by just handling it. She added that an electrical surge could do it too.

We were going to have her order a new board $450.00 Whew!!! and I went back and pushed the board drawer in again and made sure it was seated well and the machine started up. It plays like it did before the error message.

So I guess prayers do work... :-)

Anyway, I'm in luck today and I saved the big $$ for a new board.

I'm thinking that maybe I should just play the available games and let it go. No sense getting it messed up trying to figure a way to change a game on the board. Time to kick back with a cool one and enjoy.

Thanks to all

KeatsPeoria, Az.
 :cool_thumb_up:     :thank_you:

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
Update..Talked to the lady that sold the machine to the family that I bought it from. She said that the flash board was bad. Said it is very easy to fail by just handling it. She added that an electrical surge could do it too.

We were going to have her order a new board $450.00 Whew!!!
Well that sounds pretty convoluted??  No clue who "the lady" is but the price she threw out for a flashboard is what a commercial dealer to the (unknowing) home market would try to get.  Even the vendors that Google fingers for 256 flashboards are ~1/2 that figure.  A WTB post would probably get you one from someone here for a fraction of that? 

I went back and pushed the board drawer in again and made sure it was seated well and the machine started up. It plays like it did before the error message.
Yes, the GK is finicky about the flashboard but..  You pulled The MPU tray to check the labels, reseating should have been the first check after you got the SHA error since you didn't actually remove or do anyting to the daughter board. 

I'm thinking that maybe I should just play the available games and let it go. No sense getting it messed up trying to figure a way to change a game on the board.
Might as well try either the button or attendant key to see what game set you have.  There's really nothing that either of those opetion could affect on a machine that's working.  At least that way you'll actually know what you have.

Offline Keats

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »
21 Feb 20off-track,

I found this machine on Craigslist. The lady that sold it to me had purchased it from a retailer a few years ago.
She provided me with the name for that business in Mesa Az. So yea, I'm sure the board was a retail cost to me.
I'm not a dealer. I'm an end user. I have this machine in my home for my family and friends to enjoy.

The retailer also told me that after a new flash board was installed, it would have to be set up. So I had to have her come to the house to install it for me.
Something about the way the board was configured. Whether or not the available games were listed across the top of the screen or down the side in column form. Mine is down the side. Apparently this makes a difference in which way the board is "Flashed" ? by IGT in Las Vegas, according to her.

After I pulled the MPU Tray out to photograph it, I reinstalled it and made sure it was in securely. The game started up and my wife played it for a while.
It did not show the error message until the circuit breaker was turned on again after doing some electrical work on a ceiling fan.

After we spoke with the retail lady to get another board, I went back to the machine and tried pushing it it tighter. I did not feel it move even slightly.
However the machine began to work again. Wow !! I have no idea why it did that. I'm just glad that it did.

I called the lady back and cancelled the new board and told her what had happened. She was a bit surprised but happy for us.

I have photos of the board and the screen displaying version info. I'll try again to get the three photos to up load.

Thanks again.
KeatsPeoria, Az.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:56:23 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Keats

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
21 Feb 20I got the photos to post. However, I did not turn them around. They were all in the correct orientation when I did the upload.

I have no idea why they show up sideways and upside down. Sorry about that.

KeatsPeoria, Az :duh:

Offline wizeone

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
here is a ton of information about your program

i would still check with RB about getting a dev39 chip just in case..  with it giving a sha failure once and just happened to go away i would be leary of it going out again

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 10:02:21 AM »
21 Feb 20I got the photos to post. However, I did not turn them around. They were all in the correct orientation when I did the upload.

I have no idea why they show up sideways and upside down. Sorry about that.

KeatsPeoria, Az :duh:

You pictures have metadata on them, saved when the shot was first taken. The orientation doesn't flip automatically here. I flipped your photos upright in reply #6.  If you have trouble, don't double post photos - just delete them. Press MODIFY on your post, and uncheck the photo, then press SAVE.
You'll have to find a photo program where you can flip and save the shot, or one that removes the metadata. Or as another member mentioned, e mail it to yourself then save that version. I think that works most of the time.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
Good info Keats!
So, finally it's confirmed that you have a Super Star Poker (as I thought).  :dancing_2: That is exactly what I'm currently working on converting my GK to.  From the PDF that wiseone posted you can see that there are quite a few games available to play just sitting there, already on the flash, if they are selected in the config menu. 

To enable that menu, the boot chip (labelled GKB00036) needs to be replaced with a key chip, the machine rebooted and three simple menu items selected, replaced with the original boot chip, rebooted again and then, setup menu items selected from the configuration menu that comes up before the game is enabled for normal play.  If you search here for information on clearing/configuring a GK you will find several posts that outline the procedure in detail.  Or.. as also mentioned..  RB can supply a GKB00039 chip that combines the boot, clear and can side step the common SHA problem for < than a Jackson.  You can just PM him.

Anything other than the games listed would require a specific/different flashboard and possibly some additional game chips for older legacy games.  (I'd recommend that you stick with the SSP as it's the most popular from what I see posted here)

None of this is beyond anyone that's willing to try.  Forget the retail shop you talked to.  There are lots of people here that know a huge amount about these machine and are more than willing to answer any question / solve any problems.

Search the forum and you will find a wealth of information.  I'd strongly suggest that you contribute to (at least one month's) membership in NLG as that gives you access to the download section which contains a ton of very detailed and useful information.

Offline Keats

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
Sat A.M.All good info. Thanks again to all that posted and helped me.

I was under the impression that various games were available on thumb drives to up load to a hard drive / chip. I've seen them advertised on line and on Craigslist.
Well I was mistaken. The games are on a board and loaded already. That's actually a good thing.
 Now I have a reason to look for a machine that has the game I want on it.
My wife would like to pair up a GK slot that looks like the one we have. Time to begin looking again. :-)

All of the games on my board do play already. No need to do anything to the machine to get them to play.
I can reload the credits as desired and I bought a few extra keys in case I loose one.

The people here are wonderful. Can't believe how helpful all of you are. Thanks again.
KeatsPeoria, Az. :thank_you:

Offline wizeone

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 10:22:46 AM »
the games with flash drives(igt made) are the AVP line.. that is a whole new world.

Offline Keats

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
the games with flash drives(igt made) are the AVP line.. that is a whole new world.

:cool_thumb_up:

Offline off-track

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »
Didn't want to hijack the thread but since Keats problem is resolved..  wizeone, I was reading the 960 tech docs at work the other day and noticed that the section on the 044 motherboard detailing the various components mentioned the usb connector just to right of the 13V & 25V fuses.  I'd never noticed that before.  There was no further mention of it's use.  Is that because it's the same motherboard used for another platform (ie AVP)? 

Offline wizeone

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 07:10:00 PM »
really not sure.  have seen avp's in the wild and they were like a computer built into the housing. never seen or heard of a use for flash drives on a 044.. maybe tilt might know

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal