New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: G20 Possible Power Distribution Issue  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Ash100

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
G20 Possible Power Distribution Issue
« on: August 04, 2020, 05:49:39 PM »
I just received a G20 MLD recently and started the build up process on it and am having some minor issues.

I received the machine in pieces basically, all Boot Chips and Loaders/License Dongles in a plastic baggie, Power Supplies all disconnected as well as the MPU.

I got everything assembled, Bios Chips installed etc. but noticed as soon as I plug in the 110 VAC power cord to the outlet, my service light just blinks. It's a steady bright to dim in 1 second intervals. Almost like I'm getting dirty unregulated AC voltage.

So i turned on the machine anyway to check power supply functions, MPU and so on. Both monitors receive power, but no signal. The MPU doesnt boot, but one red LED does illuminate briefly. All of the power indicator lights on the backplane are on, but 2 blink in unison with the service light.

The fans on the MLD monitor run and the printer and BV both have power.

Could my problem lie with the Main Power Distribution Box? Anyone see one of these go bad? Or could the MPU be bad?

I'm just confused about the lights blinking on and off, which seems to me like a power problem.

I'll have to look again and see which lights were blinking on the backplane.

Thanks,
Curtis ash100
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:53:02 PM by Ash100 »
Eat 'till you're tired, Sleep 'till you're hungry

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: G20 Possible Power Distribution Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »
Does the MPU beep once a few seconds after power is applied?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Ash100

• Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!Ash100 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
No Rick,

I never get the tone/beep upon start up. I do get one red light momentarily and if the Diag and EKey are inserted, the green light inside the Ekey illuminates briefly.

So it's quite possible I have a bad MPU. But I'm just confused as to why my A/C Line Voltage is cycling. And would that have anything to do with the MPU not booting?

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 09:14:42 PM »
AC line voltage cycling is probably bad power supply.  Pull out the main power supply and see if the ac still fluctuates when you power up. My G20 cabinet had a burned power connector that was giving me issues.  I changed the molex plug and cleaned the contacts to fix it.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
Got back on this today,

So, with the power supply pulled, the line voltage still cycles.
The service lamp just blinks on and off as do two of the power indicator LEDs on the backplane. The 12V COM and 5V COM. And they continue to blink even when the switch is not to the on position. Not sure what those indicate or if they're even important.

I'm going to swap in a different MPU to see if it boots. It's from an older S-AVP machine that I never could get to load the OS, but at least I was able to see messages on the screen.

I'll post more shortly.

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
If you pulled the power supply and you are still getting the blinks, you have some sort of short.

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
It may take a while to go through everything to trace that short, but I've got the time. I just bought this machine to learn it and play around with it.

I put the other MPU in it and was able to load the OS, so now I've got something more to work with. I have an OEM Loader and License, and was able to load the game.

I'll go back into it later and do a wipe and set everything up from scratch. I have no idea what's on the hard drive that I installed.

I'll still need to figure out why the other MPU failed to boot.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis ash100

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 10:41:41 AM »
I would start by removing the MPU completely form the cabinet, then unplugging everything in the backplane (take photo or label harnesses to make sure you can put it back together).  Then with everything disconnected from the backplane, power up and see if you still get the blinks.  If you do, then you probably have the short in the power distribution module (where the power cord plugs in).  If you don't have blink with everything unplugged, then with power off.  Plug one connector, power on, look for blink.  Rinse and repeat until you find the harness that causes the blink and go from there.  Never plug anything when you have power, make sure you power down between each plug (in your case you probably have to unplug power cord during each harness test because it is happening even with power switch off).

Offline Eddiie

• Reputation Power: 45
  • Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 09:16:38 PM »
I found that there is a circuit breaker on the PDU thing.    See if it is tripped by chance?  Probably not, it would cut all the AC power if it was blown but might be worth a try?

Offline Eddiie

• Reputation Power: 45
  • Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 09:31:23 PM »
Replaced the power supply in the PDU and it resolved the blinking 5V, 12V COMM LEDs on the backplane.
I got it from this seller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264996530070

Plug and play.

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 02:18:39 PM »
Thanks Eddiie,

I'll give that a shot. That's the only component that I haven't tried in my troubleshooting.

I followed your post and am impressed by your tactics. Glad you were able to get things up and running.

I'm still down a top LCD, so I'm not sure when I'll get back to that machine.

I purched a new 20" Display, but it was 2" taller than my frame. Same width and diagonal measurements, but taller, so not compatible. Not sure now what I can do to find the correct monitor. I don't want to keep purchasing the wrong ones.

Maybe there's some differences between the original G20 and the G20V2?

Anyway, I'll order that power supply and at least have it on hand for when the time comes.

Thanks for the link.

Curtis ash100

Offline Ash100

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 07:51:25 PM »
Solved the problem with the power supply mentioned above.

Lights no longer blink on the backplane.

I'd forgotten about how much of a pain it is to get the Power Distro Box out.

Thanks for the tips!

Curtis Ash100

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Slotman New User barely matters.Slotman New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »
One of these guys in your tool bag saves a lot of head scratching.  And for $15.00 dollars its money well spent.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8SUYHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The only thing that would be better would be if you could put it inline with the power supply so you can see voltage with a load on it.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal