New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 903d weak reel spin  (Read 2341 times)

Offline SPN

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • SPN New User barely matters.SPN New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Bally 903d weak reel spin
« on: October 08, 2021, 12:43:34 PM »
My 903d works great and the handle feels very good when I pull it, but reel 1 only spin around one turn and a bit longer when the clock assy has stopped..
Everything have been taking apart and cleaned and I don’t understand what makes it spin that weak..

My other machines runs pretty smooth and I tried to check if I could see any differences but so far I can’t..

It kind of feels like it slips just too early when I pull the handle but it doesn’t or?

:thank_you:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:16:56 PM by SPN »

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
Re: Bally 903d weak reel spin
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
the reel spins slowly or it latches in place too quickly?

if you grab and hold the clock fan when the reels have kicked, are all three reels spinning about the same rate or is reel 1 a lot slower?

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »

Yes it spins slowly but at the same time the handle pull feels ok

I just sent you a video to look at :)

:thank_you:

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 08:13:51 PM »
I put the video at https://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/903-D/pics/903-D_reel_spin.m4v for other people to look at.

if you grab the fan, you'll be able to tell if the problem is a weak kick or if the latch links are latching the reels too fast.

it looks like the game is kicking ok and the variator cam on the timer link driving the clock is changing the spin duration like it should.

the latch links under the reels probably have four holes in the front end.  (items 23 and 12 in the below pic).  The reel 1 link should be in the second hole from the front, reel 2 in the 3rd hole and reel 3 in the 4th hole.

if reel 1 is in the first hole, the latch link will be too long and reel 1 will index too fast.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 11:34:55 AM »

I checked the latch links and they all looked good, and they are all in the right holes.

As you can see in the picture the drive lever assy is not wind up as much as it should on the 903 as on the 1039 when the trip lever assy is in the same position..

The 903 is 14,5 cm from front plate and the 1039 is 14 cm from the front plate so it’s a bit different and that’s the only difference I can see so far..

I don’t know how to adjust the differences since all my other games seems to have the same measure as the 1039 game..

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 06:37:54 PM »
Make sure the reels shaft is set and properly locked in position.

Check the adjustment on the trip pawl “L” trip lever, bottom right rear of the reels chassis.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:01:25 PM by DavidLee »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »
Also, check springs noted in photo.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 08:46:36 PM »
hi david,

another video to check out:

https://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/903-D/pics/903-D_drive.m4v

I asked for pics of the right side of the reel mech to see if something looks wrong and possibly causing the main shaft to not rotate fully counter-clockwise.  I guess pics of the left side would be good too.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 02:32:39 PM »
Luckily there’s another reel assembly to compare with.
Close inspection could reveal a part out of adjustment.

Also, latch hold mechanism could be interfering with the index arm / kicker assembly.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 11:51:22 PM »

Here’s a picture from the left side and as far as I can see it looks good, but maybe I miss something?

All the springs are there and they are also matching so that’s also not the reason..

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »
got pictures of the right side of the reel mech?

looks like you are missing the racthet pawl (67 below).  Without that, the ratchet (61) never spins and the ratchet link could be in a position to make the spin as short as possible.

try spinning the ratchet so the link is as long as possible.

hopefully I don't have that backwards ... you can also make the link as short as possible and compare the spin lengths.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
I removed the ratchet pawl intentionally and adjusted it for the longest spin, and I don’t think that’s the problem either.

I’m sending you a couple of videos to see the difference between the two reel mechanism and maybe that helps..

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 02:58:26 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the trip lever L bracket?

Also, are both fan blades configured the same and or the same size?
Swapping fans would eliminate the fan and possibly the clock speed.
A fast clock will stop the reels sooner.

>Caution the clock fan shaft is very delicate.<

Reel assembly Part # 24 the latch pawl assembly is important when tripping the index arms.
Compare it to the other machine for correct placement and alignment.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 05:13:31 PM »
another video from SPN from a kinda unique perspective:

https://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/903-D/pics/903-D_reel_kick.m4v

I'd still like to see a video of the reel kick/spin with the clock fan grabbed so the reels don't latch.

SPN's issue is he thinks the kick for reel 1 is too weak, and preventing the reels from latching will assess how fast it's spinning relative to the others.  You can also spin the reels by hand and compare resistance.

the only adjust I can think of that could affect the kick strength is the bracket on the bottom/back of the right side reel mech.  If you move the bracket a little left, the game will wind up more before it kicks off.  However, move it too far and the handle will bottom out before the kick and get stuck.

your bracket position is reasonable since the reel 1 wiper arm is latching.

so I guess the first question to answer is whether the issue is the kick is too weak or reel 1 is latching too fast.

if the conclusion is a weak kick, check part 34 on the diagram in post #3 and see if the roll pin has worn and the piece is loose on the shaft.

SPN also is wondering if the drive levers (part 28) aren't rotating forward enough.  Afaik, the roller at the top should just clear the slotted index disc when the reels are not in windup.   I think the drive levers are different for 20/22/25 stop games, so if comparing the geometry make sure you're looking at games with the same number of stops.

oh, and also check the roller on the top of the drive lever spins easily on the pin it's mounted on.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 05:51:21 PM »
Nice video, it appears everything is work okay.
Just a weak kick or index tripping to early.
Machine looks super clean, but could be some sort of obstruction in the first reel assembly.

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »

I found out that there’s a length difference on the drive lever assy on the 1039 and the 903 and maybe that can be the reason for the weaker spin?

The 1039 Las Vegas has drive lever assy number 22-10 R And the 903d mustang has drive lever assy number 22-10
It’s around 4 mm difference between those two and I wonder if the 22-10 is wrong, or shouldn’t that effect the problem

As you can see I compare with a similar machine..

I have several extra but they have other numbers on them, what those the numbers means?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
when you held the clock fan reel 1 spin was longer than reel 2.   If that's consistent, then the kick strength is not the problem.

if you hold the clock fan for a couple seconds after each kick, do you get the spin behavior you want?  If yes, the issue is why the reels are latching too fast.  You'd want to be comparing the stuff on the left side of the reel mech between the 1039 and 903 like the position of the linkages, the main shaft position, and the behavior of the clock - especially how it controls the latch shaft.

for example, someone a few months ago had a worn roll pin in a shaft that allowed the latch shaft to change positions before the clock slowed it down ... kinda like your video of the main shaft.  The effect was the reels latching sooner than they should.

Offline ironmaster

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • ironmaster New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 10:36:11 AM »
Hi All, I replaced my E1000 hopper board and now it does not blow fuses but my display just shows 6. It was showing 50.000 now it's just 6. Any ideas?

Offline SPN

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »

Even if I try different stuff It still feels like it slips to early if you know what I mean? And as you can see the drive lever assy are always in the wrong resting position comparing to all my other games, are you agree that they are in wrong position ?

I changed the roll pin and it looks more tight now so that can’t be it, and I tried to see the other roll pins and they all look good too.

Do you know if there are different of the two drive lever assy that I use?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 12:41:59 PM »
The code 6 is from one of two things. First is bad 5101 ram chip or chips. If you have the 1000 series MPU board, these are located on the small ram board. If your running a E2000 MPU, they are located near the battery. I’d check the sockets for acid damage. I’ve seen many where the metal clips corrode and turn green. The chip sockets Bally used on these boards are garbage.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal