New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Converting My G23 from Non-MLD to MLD Screen  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Matt411

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Matt411 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Converting My G23 from Non-MLD to MLD Screen
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:13:20 AM »
As topic suggests, looking to swap my non-mld monitor with mld one. When I got this, I assumed all G23s came with the monitor needed to run the reel depth games, and I'd greatly like to use this machine to it's full potential.

I asked Ellary Gaming if they had any and he said they did and this:  " the whole bottom door is required. power cable to backplane if version 2 g23 or a 180w power supply for mld is required if version 1" 

He said they can do $900 + s/h for the entire kit (door, monitor, power supply, etc)  How can I tell if my g23 is V1 OR V2?

My bottom monitor appears to be 22 inches diagonally.

I just find it weird they didn't make a MLD monitor that can be just swapped with the current one without the need to replace the door, power supply, etc. Has anyone done this before and if so how difficult is it? I'm decent at putting things together, and good with computer stuff.

Attached a few extra photos of my current machine in post below. Thanks!

Offline Matt411

• NLG
Re: Converting My G23 from Non-MLD to MLD Screen
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 10:14:52 AM »
Few extra photos.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 10:52:42 AM »
So you know, you will also need a video card to play MLD games.  That built-in video won't cut it.

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 11:25:17 AM »
What's a good video card to get? And am I swapping it with another video card inside or is what I would be buying a dedicated video card? Just want to make sure its compatible and fits with my MPU.

I maxed my ram to 4gb and upgraded to SSD - and I still notice some slot games lag like stinkin rich & a lot of the bonus games on the slots will appear as if they're running at like 20FPS. Would a good video card help this? Also read it could be my OS version. (nvram at 80% running gk 8.3r).

Anyway, I just wanted to double check here to make sure in fact I did need the entire door + everything. I'll ask Ellary about the video card.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
Yes you need entire door.  A dedicated video card will help with the frame rates big time. E4690 is best I believe.  (move both monitor cables to E4690)

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 11:56:10 AM »
Cool makes sense, just like a PC I guess. Going to order everything, Ellary also has that video card you mentioned so just gonna get the whole shabang. Will keep progress update on this thread of the install or any issues if they arise. Thanks!

Offline millionaire2k

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • millionaire2k New User barely matters.millionaire2k New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 02:23:27 PM »
Having an MLD screen is well worth the hassle of the swap IMO.  Good luck with the upgrade, hope it goes smooth.

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 10:25:21 PM »
If my machine needs the extra power supply for it, does it have to go in a specific spot in the machine? I know there's room where the "player tracking system" would normally go, could it just be mounted there?

Also since the door needs to be replaced, can I just unmount the door with my non-mld monitor and unhook everything without having to take the monitor out of the door / bezel as well?

I'm looking forward to it too, will be well worth it.

Offline Wamo90

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Wamo90 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 10:49:03 PM »
What's a good video card to get? And am I swapping it with another video card inside or is what I would be buying a dedicated video card? Just want to make sure its compatible and fits with my MPU.

I maxed my ram to 4gb and upgraded to SSD - and I still notice some slot games lag like stinkin rich & a lot of the bonus games on the slots will appear as if they're running at like 20FPS. Would a good video card help this? Also read it could be my OS version. (nvram at 80% running gk 8.3r).

Anyway, I just wanted to double check here to make sure in fact I did need the entire door + everything. I'll ask Ellary about the video card.

I know Matt said he's already found a E4690 so this won't apply to him, but for anyone who finds this in the future:

I ran into the exact same FPS problem in Stinkin Rich & certain bonus games that had a lot of particle effects.  The only E4690s I could find were like $200, so I bought a refurbished ATI 3650 off of ebay for $10.  It worked right out of the box and alleviated the FPS issues.  Everything runs buttery smooth now (with 4gb RAM & SSD as well).  It might not stand up as well to BTTF or CSI, which are GPU hogs, but for all other games it seems to be a worthwhile (and way cheaper) alternative to the E4690.

Offline Wamo90

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Wamo90 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 11:03:01 PM »
Sorry for the double post:

I'm not sure if you'll need a new power supply.  I took a look at my MLD (I already have the machine open trying to troubleshoot that Speaker LED problem), and my power connector looks just like yours in the list picture you posted.  I've attached a pic of the back of my monitor below.

And if you do end up buying that E4690 keep in mind you may need a DVI to VGA adaptor.  The MLD uses a VGA connector but many E4690's only have DVI ports.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:09:51 AM by Wamo90 »

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 04:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. They shipped my kit today and made note that all connectors and stuff will be included for the conversion. Worst case I sell the extra power supply if not needed. My current monitor power connects right  to the backpane, looks like yours does too?

I hope since I have to swap front doors, that I can just disconnect all old monitor wires and just pop the door out with the monitor still attached to the frame / bezel.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 04:37:17 PM »
Yes you can leave monitor in old door and replace with new door with MLD monitor already in it.  I don't think you need the power supply, pics look same as mine. I think as long as the regular PSU is a 440w and not a 300w it doesn't need it, but I could be wrong as I've never seen one with it's own power supply.

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 06:10:04 PM »
Update on this monitor swap. It's been a nightmare so far. . But finally got a hold of someone at ellary gaming. They were good, sending the correct harness that goes to the j17 port on the backpane no hardware was included to mount the bezel to the sides of the monitor and the actual monitor to the 4 metal brackets. I luckily was able to use 2 screws from old monitor for the bezel brackets and found 4 screws that magically fit the 4 brackets where the monitor mounts to the metal frame.

Now I go to hook everything up only to find the power supply I bought from them and they sent me doesn't have the correct size power connector. The one in my machine connected to the backpane is also 9 holes. They are sending me the 6 pin harness.

Also does this MLD monitor not have a USB microtouch cable? I hope to god they didn't send me the wrong monitor. My non-mld one had a usb that connected inside the machine for the microtouch...

EDIT: USB cable wasn't Iinckuded either but they are sending that as well.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 02:39:12 PM by Arcade Matt »

Offline millionaire2k

• Reputation Power: 22
  • millionaire2k New User barely matters.millionaire2k New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 01:43:53 PM »
That blows. 

The monitor looks correct.

And yeah that power supply does not seem right at all.

The USB for touch should be located to the left of where the "jumper" video cable (blue connectors) on the monitor plugs in (right below your hand in your last picture).

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
I finally got a hold of them, they were nice. I see where the USB goes now, that cable wasn't included either but they are sending too.

They were gonna send another power supply but I already have the 440 w one so I figured I'd just try and run the mld monitor from the backpane instead of dealing with another power supply that can possibly go bad. So they are supposed to send that j17 harness with 6 pins for the power instead of the 9 on my original one. Hopefully the monitor can run that way, seems like that's how everyone else's is running as long as you have a 440w power supply.

Offline Matt411

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 10:27:22 AM »
Just a final update on this and some notes should anyone in the future attempt to do this:

Got it working after much back & forth with Ellary Gaming - they were difficult to communicate with & after they sent me the wrong cables, I told them I needed the power cable to the backpane as well as the USB cable for the touch screen - that USB cable they didn't ship so had to buy one, thankfully it's just a generic one.

NOTES:

- Make sure whoever you are buying an MLD monitor conversion kit from is knowledgeable and that everything you need will be included: new door, power cables, connectors, etc.

- 440 WATT power supply needed for the monitor power to run off the backpane instead of a separate power supply.

- I found it easier attaching the monitor to bezel + frame BEFORE attaching the entire door to the hinges.

- Ratchet is your best friend for the nuts to mount +secure the bezel.

- Make sure you have a dedicated graphics card to run this (still an issue I'm having as my PCI slot for some reason isn't working). Some reel depth games will run but some will be laggy / choppy. You'll need a VGA TO DVI cable for the MLD monitor if hooking up to a graphics card. I read on another post people having issues with VGA TO DVI adapters so I have the entire vga to dvi cable on the way for when my 660 MPU gets here just to be safe.

- The MLD (at least mine) is not as vibrant as the non-mld, and the viewing angle isn't as good but IMO, the tradeoff is worth it given it expands your library of possible games.

Finally: before you even buy a G23, know your options! I would have just paid more and got a machine with an MLD already installed had I known but I'm happy to have the extra parts at least.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 411
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 10:34:42 AM »
Glad you got it going!  :applause:
I just installed new fans on one of our G23 monitors last week.
I didn't have to remove the door but it isn't the easiest thing to do...just have to take your time that's all!  :yes:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Melissarmdlm

• Reputation Power: 12
  • Melissarmdlm New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 12:30:43 PM »
I dunno if this is actually right or the whole story but G2x v1 and v2 is as simple as: does it have the yellow handled io backplane extension board. Yours does, thus it's a v2.

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 387
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 08:28:21 PM »
I dont' know either, but my ID plate on the side of the cabinet shows G23MLD_V2 in the model number block.  That may be the best way of telling if it's a V1 or V2?

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 08:32:40 PM »
I dont' know either, but my ID plate on the side of the cabinet shows G23MLD_V2 in the model number block.  That may be the best way of telling if it's a V1 or V2?
Same here and mine has the yellow handle.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal