New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: TOP BANANA - 550 - STOPPED WORKING  (Read 17043 times)

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
TOP BANANA - 550 - STOPPED WORKING
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »
My Top Banana was working fine - turned it off - turned it on again - get a loud CHIME and thats all - no game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:36:34 AM by GOS »

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: TOP BANANA - 550 - STOPPED WORKING
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:28:30 AM »
Check the power LEDs on the IO board to be sure you have all the correct voltages.

Merry Christmas Barry....

Offline GOS

• GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:49:45 AM »
Game has been working non-stop since first HICCUP - now the Bill Validator does not work - NO POWER - does not cycle -  is the bv controlled by the main power supply?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
Yes DBV gets +12 volts from power supply.  I would replace the "inner" power supply from the pdu, it is usually the part that goes bad on these 550's.  You will have to remove the PDU assembly (the one with the big red switch that controls power).  Inside that PDU there's a removable 5/12v open frame power supply which is usually the culprit.  The picture below is what it looks like.

Here's an e-bay listing for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-Power-Supply-Low-Voltage-Williams-550-11948-1-/121814197530?hash=item1c5cb1251a:g:gsUAAOSwEgVWRe12

There's also a mod that you can use to replace it with a computer ATX power supply. It is shown for the WMS4xx cabinet, but it's the same procedure for a 550.  Here's a link on how to do it:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=346.0

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »
makes sense with the game running sometimes then not - will see about taking the power supply out. 

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
I bought the power supply module off ebay - have inspected the cabinet to see how to remove the power supply - based on what I see - I have to take out the bill validator housing - maybe the transformer?  I can only see one bolt on the top right of the power supply housing.  Am I correct?

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
DISASTER!!! installed the module and on power up - runaway hopper!!!!  no game - reinstalled original module and machine is dead - all lights the mpu board are ON.  So I went from a game that had no power supply to a game that is now dead. 

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
Check all connectors and re-seat I/O and CPU boards and see what you het.
Look for bent pins.
What was the part number of the power supply?

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
the part number on the replacement module "PU-110-31A"  this was recommended in an earlier tread.  I didn't touch the boards during the install/uninstall/reinstall process but will give it a shot - with the machine back to its original parts - all 5 lights on the mpu board are on. 

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »
A few questions:
1) Do you get a Bong sound at start-up? If so how many, one is good, multiple  indicate an issue.
2) Does the DS1 (fail) led illuminate with the 5 voltage indicators on the right?

Attached a trouble shooting guide for your issue.
Also check all the connection to the backplane to be sure they are all seated and in the correct positions.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:08 AM »
no longer the BONG sound.  when I open the cage all the lights are on - will reseat the boards - to recap - the game just prior to changing out the power supply module - was working EXCEPT for the bill validator which was dead.  I removed the bv housing to get at the power supply assembly - unplugged the connectors to the housing - removed the housing - swapped out the old module with the new one - reinstalled - all connectors to the power supply attached to proper positions - turned on machine and got a runaway hopper!!! - turned off machine - removed the hopper - turned back on - no gong - power to monitor - yes noticed when powering machine down.  Reinstalled the ORIGINAL module - opened board door - all the led lights were lit. (i did check the fuses in the power supply back panel board  as well as the fuse on the module.).

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
Wondering if there was something wrong with the replacement inner module?  No Bong sound is not a good sign.  Is the original inner PS back in the machine?  Do you have another set of I/O and MPU board to test each independently?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
must have been that module you mentioned on ebay - which I bought -  the machine was working BEFORE I replaced the module -  the module screwed up something as both modules do the exact same thing - NOTHING - no gong and all 5 led are lit on the right most board - also the bottom light is on when the machine is off .  I reseated all the boards and connections - so the new module blew something.  I have no boards so I am dead in the water. 

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Spin inc is usually very reliable on their parts and I've never had issues with any of their stuff.  Are there any obvious signs of damage on the backplane or any of the two boards that are inside the cage?

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
did not get module from spin - you had a link to one for sale on ebay - which I bought - since the machine was working BEFORE I installed the module (and there is really no way to screw up the wiring) -  OBVIOUSLY the module did something - there is no visable damage to the backplane of the power supply - fuses are good. I checked with Spin and they don't have a power supply.  Don't know what damage the module did - but since the led lights are all on - there is a problem. 

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
Barry,  check this link,  don't remember if the +20 volts shows up on the I/O board. ,anyway has alot of good info when troubleshooting power supply and the voltages.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?PHPSESSID=ac79c55df15e77806fe8bb0dfce5736f&topic=346.0

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »
so the 40x and 550 are similar? 

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
didn't read the topic  "550"      that info was for the 40x     

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
The link I posted was to spininc's listing of the low voltage power supply for the 550.  I certainly have no vested interest on their listing or anybody else's listing on e-bay for that matter.  If you believe my suggestion led to your current situation, it was not my intent.  The biggest problem with the 550 is the lower power supply, and has been in my experience the culprit in all these types of situations both on my personal machine and others I have looked at.  Since I am sensing a level of displeasure, I will respectfully bow out of this thread.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 09:37:09 PM »
my apologies to Rickhunter - there were 2 sellers of the module - I didn't realize that spin had one also - guess I should have bought the one from SPIN - since my original no longer works - buying another one without knowing what damage the first did is kind of a waste of time.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal