New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Varta battery corrosion damage on a 504 board giving me "main door open" error?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline br549autosales

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
I have a couple 504 boards that are giving each issues showing the front door not being closed. I know the optics are fine, so I'm guessing the light corrosion damage where I removed the Varta battery is causing this. I've tried cleaning that area with white vinegar and letting it dry thoroughly but the board is still giving me the same door open issues. Is there a solution to this problem as far as a better cleaning method or should o just replace both boards? The corrosion was very little divi figured a good cleaning would have worked

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
You could try jumper wires to components on either end of the traces that pass under that battery, but it's hit or miss. Most people mess with it a bit and replace the board

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
If the battery leakage ate into any board traces or solder pads then they would need to be jumpered for a reliable connection. If there is still residual corrosion or contamination on the board it can provide a path for extraneous electrical current to flow and that might interfere with some of the circuits. If the board was mounted vertically sometimes the leakage can go further than the immediate area when it drips, runs or falls downward.

Since the corrosion was so little maybe it is just one thing that is causing the problem.

The vinegar will neutralize the battery leakage and help prevent further damage but it may not remove all the dried contamination that's already there. You can try a more vigorous cleaning using a fairly stiff bristle brush and dish detergent, then rinse & dry well. Some people even put them thru the dishwasher before giving up. If the battery leakage got underneath chips sometimes it is unseen, we've removed chips to find nasty stuff underneath. And sockets and connectors on the board can get affected if the leakage went into them. There are places (some are people here on NLG) that will clean and repair boards, but you'd need to balance that cost with just getting another board. We've cleaned boards in an ultrasonic tank filled with water and liquid detergent, similar to a jewelry cleaner but larger. The vibrations do a good job shaking loose contamination and cleaning it. But the vibrations can damage mechanical parts on the board like crystals so it is a risk. Engineers recommend suspending the board in the liquid so the board doesn't touch the sides or bottom of the tank, minimizes the vibrations conducted directly to the board.

As cowboygames said it gets down to how much time you can spend working on it, and whether you just want to be done and get a replacement board.

our shop had something like this, we had a frame that suspended the board in the cleaning solution vertically or horiz so it didn't touch any part of the tank:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:34:15 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline br549autosales

• br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
Ok, anyone have a couple of working 504 boards for sale?

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
I have never seen this problem but someone with a bad board check continuity between r115 and r53 on the bottom of the board. The 2 bads closest to eachother should have continuity. R115 is by j2 the smaller of the 2 connectors that mate with the motherboar and r53 is by j5 and u44.

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
ok so here is pics of what i was asking. one pic is the location of each resistor on the bottom side of the board. the other two are each resistor in question with a circle around the pad that is supposed to be connected. the trace that connects the 2 is the only door related trace i can find and it has a via directly under the printing that says bt2.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
OK I'm jumping in here because I have 6 boards with the same problem. Please post results and good pictures or video of repair. Have not been able to throw away these boards hoping a fix was possible.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

• NLG
I have never had this problem and dont have a board to test the repair on thats why i want someone with a bad board to check between those solder. Just a diod test on a meter between them would work.

• NLG
Just noticed the only 504 board i have is actually a 502 that someone swaped the lable on not sure if that makes a difference on the door traces.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Tested a bad 504 board mine shows no resistance between those points. The connection is complete so you need to look somewhere else, but I do remember that this board was somewhat intermittent. Maybe someone else's results?

Rich

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

• NLG
I wish i had a board to test with. Im surprised the problem is this big i have worked on a lot of s2000s and never had this problem. Some of the green batterys on them looked like a furry catipiler was stuck to the board.

Offline br549autosales

• NLG
Damn, I guess I'm just unlucky then, I have 4 boards doing the same thing, jot showing door closed, and on all 4 the battery corrosion was very little to none. Seems like I remember seeing a post on this problem in which someone said to put a jumper on the board where the legs of the green battery used to be and it solved it for them

• NLG
finally ended up with a board that may have the problem you guys are experiencing. the board came in a machine and had the problem when i got it. it did still have the green battery installed but no corrosion what so ever so i suspect someone replaced it at one point. i checked the optics with an oscilloscope and the pulse was there but it was very weak and inconsistent. now i have good news for me but bad news for all of you. in soldering on wires to points i wanted to test i seem to have accidentally fixed the board but i have no clue what ic or point was causing the problem. has anyone tried to re flow that section of the board yet? when i remove the batteries i use a Hakko 808 Desoldering Tool maybe the boards are getting too hot and the solder joints are breaking.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal