New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT s+ XL ?!?! 7'6" machine that's gigantic - Big Bertha is broken  (Read 2080 times)

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • MacGUYver New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: IGT s+ XL ?!?! 7'6" machine that's gigantic - Big Bertha is broken
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
Fixed/solved

Battery replaced, belly glass light and fuses replaced (lights too GD bright though tbh, what watt bulbs to people get?), Door sensors repaired and replaced/aligned (thanks Tim for the reference pics), cash out button reseated (people smash it), and gold bullion dollar coin sized up nicely.

It's been reliable for a few hours now, everything working and tested from what I can tell. Bills, coins in, coins out, lights, pull handle, reels lined up, sounds.  It just needs a deep clean now to be a bit more presentable!

Now to see what it's worth.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:17:48 PM by Bigjon527 »

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
Bah, should have sold it sooner.

Reel error 42 now.  Switching the molex to have power route 2 go to wheel 3, amd vice versa, still gets me 42.  The wheel doesn't quite get spinning, and sometimes does the herky jerky, or a stagger step backwards.

Since the swap still shows 42, I'll suspect the mpu or wires and not the reel itself.  Read some people's thoughts , and it looks like I can harvest a 4th /5th reel resistor on thr board and replace it?  May give that a go.  Still need to walk through reel 2s wires and reseat things first. 

Always something...

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 02:35:55 AM »
Okay, after messing around and switching parts around, I isolated down to my second reel board was bad.  Changed it to reel 3, get error 43.  It was super dirty, cleaned it but no difference.  I than noticed the 2 wireround long white resistors were different watt sizes than the other two boards (20w instead of 25).  I than also noticed the first one in series was very hot, while the second one was cool.  The other boards resistors were all just warm. 

I'll probably order this part, just curious if anyone had a spare board?  Unfortunately it says wheel of Fortune on the damn thing... So I doubt it?

Board 120256

Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline dailey

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »

I have a few thoughts.

You listed this machine for sale on Craigslist 15 days ago and describe it as in working order. Looks like it has unresolved issues and you're trying to pawn it off onto someone else by misrepresenting the condition. Are you aware that some of us forum members read the craigslist ads ?

Offline FireballJackpot

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 122
  • FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 10:51:26 PM »
Bigjon,

How are your soldering skills??  Meter reading skills??   If two thumbs up ( :cool_thumb_up: :cool_thumb_up: ) then I would check the SCRs on the board. Resistors create heat from Load. The Hot resistor is taking more load than the other, or maybe the load for both (and the cold resistor, none).

Looking at the board, looks like you have a Comparator driving the SCRs. I would suspect one of the SCR's and or the Gate Diode next to it, might be your problem. All the 1/4 watt and 1/2 watt resistors are probably fine. As when THEY fail, they usually turn black and burn up. Besides; to properly test a resistor to it's labeled value, most of the time you must remove it from the circuit.

Set your meter on "diode" mode or "Ohms" (some meters will have a horseshoe symbol facing down). Flip the board over and put one lead on pin 1 of a SCR and the other meter lead on pin 2. Then check from pin 2 to pin 3. Then pin 1 to pin 3. You're looking for variances, not "exact" valves. SCR's are the things with the heatsinks on them (little metal cooling fins). Do that to ALL the SCR's on the board. Without getting into how many ohms to look for (you can get incorrect readings from some when they're in-circuit), just look for the SCR that has DIFFERENT ohms reading than all the others. THAT SCR is most likey the one to change out. Same proceedure with the large gate diodes next to the SCR. You could have a "damaged" diode, as a "shorted" diode or SCR would be blowing fuses.

If the Diodes all have the same resistance and the SCR's all have similar readings from one to the next, Swap out the Comparator IC (U1 = LM3302N). It could be locked up closing latches (outputs) even when it's not being fed an input from the CPU. HINT: Always solder an IC socket to the board when replacing ICs. That way you won't damage the new IC from re-soldering heat/static and it's easy to change if it cooks again.

Hope all this tech mumbo-jumbo helps! 

PS: At least you got 2 weeks of it working. I always demand a "30/30 warranty" from any decades old items I purchase from private sellers:  30 Feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first. :duh:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:17:00 PM by FireballJackpot »

Offline FireballJackpot

• Sr NLG Member
  • FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 11:31:42 PM »
If you gave 2 Thumbs DOWN to my above question and can't find a replacement board from any of NLG's fine vendors, Give SPIN a call. They offer flat rate repairs (I'm waay more expensive than they are). Here's the link:

http://www.spininc.com/t/BoardRepair

:cool_thumb_up: :waving_flag: :spam:

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »
Fire, thanks for thr tips, I'll try that when I get some time.

Dailey, I listed it on CL weeks ago, this error 4# started days ago.  It would be pretty obvious for anyone showing up that this machine doesn't work atm, right?  I make sure anyone coming to see mys tuff gets to see all operations, from on to off to on. 

But I'm sure you knew that.  Feel free to offer advice on repairing this board.

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 12:30:56 AM »
Solved!

Fire, you gave me the hint I needed.  On this board, the two laemrge white ceramic resistors were 20w, smaller rating than the other two boards.  One was very hot, one was cold.  It didn't occur what that meant until re - reading your post.  I checked continuity, the cold one was open!  I did all your other ohm testing too, consistent ratings.

Ordered two new 25w wireround resistors, soldered them in and Bam, I'm back in the game!

I'm pretty sure Dailey's been fake messaging my CL/offer up post. No worries, I promise to perform power cycle and soak tests prior to selling.  So far consistent play though. 

Now to get working on my Yahtzee.  Once again, great info in this forum, once your set your filter threshold to insensitive haha.

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 12:33:12 AM »
Opened the ceramic resistors just to see it, looks broke to me.  Burnt wire on thr right

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 02:41:30 AM »
Good job!  Congrats on the repair.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline FireballJackpot

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
Awesome!  You are now a Bertha Board “Factory Trained Technician”    :cool_thumb_up:

Glad to have helped!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal