New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need some help troubleshooting 'Prog None' tilt code on this WMS  (Read 129 times)

Offline Jzeron

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Jzeron New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Howdy folks!

I got a Williams Lucky Streak dotmation slot machine that is giving me the tilt code, 'prog none' which refers to 'No Progressive Controller'.  Any help / advice is much appreciated!  :hail:

I'm a bit confused  ... since the jumper for Progressive play is in the 'off' position :Scratch-Head:.  I looked at the back of the CPU and IO boards to see if maybe I had some bad traces - but they all look good.

Here are the some of issues I've found - but I don't think they are related to the problem:

(1) it takes the machine a good hour or so to warm up and the power supply levels to get to threshold voltages before it will actually boot - I'm planning on doing the power supply fix, soon.  Once she's warmed up, good to go.  I don't think this is the root of the problem causing the 'prog none' tilt code...  but would be good to know if this is normal or not, or others thoughts if this could be causing me problems.

(2) there are three loose wires in the back right hand side (see pic) that do not terminate to anything. I'm not sure what function they serve, but when I connect all three of them together I get a the tilt code 'drop open' (cashbox door open).  When they are not connected, I do not get the error.  Two of the wires are black and white stripe, the other is black with green stripe.  The cashbox door does not have a key on it, so maybe that is why they are hanging there loose.

After days of troubleshooting and no progress, time to call in the troops :EmoticonHelp4: !

:thank_you:

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:03:32 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Jzeron

• NLG
Re: Need some help troubleshooting 'Prog None' tilt code on this WMS
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:06:06 AM »
I'm still scratching my head ... 

The machine boots up fine, but goes straight to this tilt code.

I also verified that the setting for progressive protocol using the DIAGNOSTICS feature in Sequence 1 is set to "NONE" - indicating that it's not using a host system.   This in addition to verifying that jumper setting on bank 2 DIP switches, position 8 is set to OFF (progressive disabled) - I'm really confused what's happening here!

It was working not too long ago.  Hopefully, I don't have to Hard RAM Clear - I don't have the chips to do that...

Any help greatly appreciated!  This is 1 of 3 slots machines that I picked up that I'm hoping to get running again ...

Offline Jzeron

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:55:04 AM »
More investigation but still no answer :banghead:

What I’ve Checked:

Dipswitch Behavior:
The bank2 dipswitch position 8 is connected to pin 17 of a DM74LS244 chip (tai-state buffer) - (2A4).
When the dipswitch is in the off position (meant to disable the progressive feature), pin 17 (2A4) floats at 5V - measured.
When the dipswitch is in the on position, it pulls pin 17 to ground, as expected.

DM74LS244 Measurements:
Pin 3 (2Y4) is the corresponding output to pin 17 (2A4), and it measured 5V when the dipswitch was off as expected.
Pin 20 (Vcc) measured 5V, confirming proper power supply.
Ground on pin 1 was verified.
Pin 2 (2G*), which is the enable pin for this group of buffers, appears to be floating (neither tied to ground nor Vcc).

Downstream Circuit Investigation:
Pin 3 (2Y4) is connected to two other ICs: (1) ST16C552CJ and (2) ST16C2550CJ, both UART chips.
I'm not able to troubleshoot these UART chips further due to their programmable logic.  But I did pull one of them out and try to start the machine and the machine wouldn't start up.  I'm guessing that these chips are probably okay - need to look further downstream.

Findings:

The DM74LS244 appears to be functioning correctly based on the measurements. It is passing the 5V signal through when the dipswitch is off.
The issue is likely further downstream.

:Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head:

Offline playklax01

• Reputation Power: 6
  • playklax01 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:49:18 PM »
While I have not seen this specific problem before, due to your lower supply beginning to fail it could cause odd problems like this.  However, the manual states:  Progressive Tilts - Progressive tilts disclose communication failures between the slot machine and progressive system. To clear progressive tilts, open and close the Main Door.

For S&Gs, have you tried that?

Offline Jzeron

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:57:51 PM »
Yes, I've tried that - opened and closed the main door.  But not clearing!

I was also wondering if possibly the power supply might be going bad and causing weird issues! But everything else seems fine, and voltage levels measure good ... and this error is the persistent error, so I'm thinking it must be bad logic on some pin somewhere that the program things the progressives are active.

So I'm back to the IO board tracing dip-switch position 8 to where goes and checking voltages, hoping that maybe I missed something the first time around and if so, maybe I can manually set the logic with vcc or ground :arrowthruhead:

If I only could find a schematic for the IO board, that would make things a whole heck of a lot easier to troubleshoot! 

Offline Jzeron

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:40:35 PM »
Update:  I think we're getting closer!

Conducted another test:

(1) set the Dipswitch position 8 to the 'on' position
(2) placed test lead on pin 17 (2A4) of the DM74LS244 (this is where dip switch position 8 trace goes to)
(3) placed test lead on pin 3 (2Y4) which is the corresponding output to pin 17 on the DM74LS244
(4) measured:
      Pin 17: low (0 vdc)
      Pin 3: high (5 vdc) !!!!!

I was not expecting Pin 3 to stay high - it stays high whether or not dip sw 8 is on or off (progressive enabled / disabled).

I suspect the DM74LS244 chip must be the problem.  I ordered a replacement one from DigiKey, should arrive by Thursday ....

That's a long time to wait!!  Good thing I have two other slots in non-working condition that I can divert my attention! 

This could be the issue, or it might not be the issue - I guess we'll have to wait and see - if anyone has other ideas please let me know!!  Or better yet - if you have a schematic for this I/O board  :yes:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal