New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: substitue for 2716 eprom  (Read 707 times)

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
substitue for 2716 eprom
« on: July 31, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:46:40 AM by GOS »

Offline KaPH33n

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • KaPH33n New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: substitue for 2716 eprom
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »
28C16
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/lp6mYTQxAXc

I believe you can also use 2732 and double up the code.

I haven't tried either myself, but it should work. hopefully this leads you to a solution.

Offline GOS

• GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
my issue is the programming as I use the TL866II pro which limits PPV programming to 12.5 for the 2716 - found AM2716B as doable - just having issue finding them

Offline KaPH33n

• Reputation Power: 4
  • KaPH33n New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »
I have and recommend the gq-4x4 in tandem with the tl866ii plus. that's my setup and those two programmers seem to be able to do the majority of what I need, using adapters.

You may want to consider using buyicnow.com to just burn it for you?

I would also offer to burn one for you if you are not concerned with timing... very busy these days.

Offline GOS

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 04:24:06 PM »
i am in the philippines and shipping items is an issue especially with the virus.  The AM2716B will work fine once I get them - appreciate the offer.

Offline gwslotting

• Reputation Power: 6
  • gwslotting New User has no influence.
  • Covid 19 at home: Midi music #1, Slot machine #2..
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:07:18 AM »
I also made somewhat a mistake buying a TL866II plus for the purpose of programming 2716. 

So many different manufacturers of 2716 and "fake ones" requiring power up to 12V, 21V, 25V. The TL866II plus only handles up to 21V with no connection for external power supply. Same issue with different versions of kee willem, but at least that has external supply capability but have to edit the software or even add internal jumpers for older versions.

A few guys posted on the web the if they re-burn these 25V 2716 ten or more times, (its the current more than the voltage), the EPROM may take ,

From what I read, the GQ-4X seems to be most flexible, though editing the software may be required.

2732 as a substitute sounds like a good option, though I never tried. At least 2732 is much easier to buy.

For machines using 2716 , if I have to re program, I want to use a version to last, the 27C16, is not as long lasting,(12V power)  I heard.

Erasing old 2716 for re programming , using UV light is another hassle too. Too much UV, or not enough creates problem. Must one also buy a UV eraser.
There are UV lights for detecting fake dollar bills, or UV light for disinfection, still trying to research if they will work.

[size=78%]On a side note, my slot is an Aristocrat Espirt, 40 year old with original AMD 2716 25V eproms.  It will power up, but I am afraid to go further, worrying investing too much time to find out the EPROM codes are corrupted. Anyone knows how to get copy of the codes, or the EPROM replacement itself.  These machines are not as popular as IGT and Bally[/size]

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:43:29 PM by gwslotting »

Offline gwslotting

• Reputation Power: 6
  • gwslotting New User has no influence.
  • Covid 19 at home: Midi music #1, Slot machine #2..
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »
Hi...Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I guess I am going through the same feelings of attempting to revive this machine.. worrying about the 2716. Yes, definately don't take them out now. But I am so surprised they lasted 40 plus years. I don't think your effort with preparing for the 2716 replacement is a waste, unless you plan to get rid of the unit in the near future... those EPROMS is living on borrowed time.  If I ever get to taking them out, I will send you a copy of their codes.

I posted 
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=29071.msg153166#msg153166

about the hassle of programming the 2716.  You are so much more advanced in PCB and component level knowledge than I am, that I think you already know most of what I posted.   Yes, Op Bell is so helpful also. He guided me to download from NLG some manuals.

Those memory chips to be replaced, are they on the same PCB, or on the other main PCB?

I will fire up the unit again, and observe what works and not. With any luck, and your valuable advice, I hope I can revive this one like you did.  :hail: [size=78%]Allow me to keep you updated.[/size]

Right now, I am also reviving a even more rare unit, The Seeburg Williams. What a contrast, no chips, PCBs, soooo many relays and switches, but incomplete manual.  I don't know why I ended up getting these two, the only two slots I have.  :banghead:   It was meant to be a way to spend getting stuck at home from COVID 19.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal