New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 5000 Plus Power Issue  (Read 1593 times)

Offline jtbrown1111

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • jtbrown1111 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 5000 Plus Power Issue
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
Hello Everyone ...

I just acquired a 5000 Plus 25 cent slot machine that seems to have a power issue.   When I plug the machine in and power it up it blows house circuit breaker as well as one of the three push/twist fuses inside the machine.  It's the far left fuse ....

There is NO activity on the machine when this happens,  no lights, sounds or movement ....

I suspect it might be a bad power supply but I'm not sure where to start ....

Thanks for all your help ..

Joel

(edit to fix small text)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:53:45 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Bally 5000 Plus Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:25:12 AM »
Someone that knows this model of machine can maybe say what part of the machine that far left fuse is for.

Like you said, the problem could be the power supply. Also the fluorescent lights can sometimes cause a problem. You can remove the starter and the bulb for each fluorescent light just to make sure it isn't one of them. There is usually a fluorescent light in the top box, another one behind the belly (lower) glass and maybe others elsewhere in the machine.

Check the power cord that comes from the wall outlet into the machine. See if it is cut or smashed anywhere, that could cause the wires inside the power cord to short to each other or to the metal chassis.

Another idea - sometimes when a machine is moved it is laid on its side or back during the move. This can cause loose coins, screws, washers and other metal objects that are inside the machine to get jumbled around. Over the years stuff like that often falls down into the lower part of the machine. If a metal object gets underneath the power transformer or a circuit board or onto anything electrical it can cause a dead short. You can remove the coin hopper and get in there with a light to do an inspection.

After that you can unplug all the powered parts of the machine and see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't then you reconnect one thing at a time until you find out what is blowing the fuse.

Post a few photos of the machine so we know for sure what you have.

PS> Welcome to NLG !  :wave: :waving_flag:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:44:16 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jtbrown1111

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
Hello rokgpsman,

Well I'm making progress thanks to your help ....     I removed the power supply and found $8.50 of quarters stuck in the back of it ....   Once I removed these and put it back together it fired up,  wheels spin etc;     :thank_you:

I'm not quite out of the woods yet as I can't seem to get anything to happen except the wheels spinning ...   I've tried to reset the machine by powering it off,  pulling MU board out half way and then powering back on.  When I power on the bell starts sounding but I can't see anything changing on the display ....

I'm looking online for a manual but only find the 5000 which seems to be a bit different than the 5000 Plus ......     

I'm continuing to look  .....  If anyone has thoughts please let me know ....

Joel

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
That's good progress!  Sounds like maybe there was a coin or coins someplace they shouldn't be that was causing the short? If they were near the large power transformer or the power supply connectors that's very possible. Moving a machine can cause a problem like this, that's why it's best to inspect the lower cabinet very well after moving it but before turning on power.

So now you got back part of your cost!  :money:      :garfield:

I'm not overly familiar with all the Bally models so hopefully the Bally folks here can give some advice on your questions. To get the best help you will need to post some photos of the machine. The amount of information you give us will directly affect how many people get interested and respond. Everyone here volunteers their time and advice, and humans being visual creatures means we like photos because they can tell us 100 times more than words, and photos make the discussion more interesting. More interest means greater chance of participation by others.

Does the mpu board have a battery that is dead and needs replacing? Does the machine have reels or does it have a video monitor for display? Are all of the fuses ok now?

There may be a 5000 Plus manual in the NLG download area, not sure but can check. Nearly all of the NLG website is free access but the download area requires that a member become a "contributing member" by making a donation to the site. Doesn't have to be a huge donation, all are appreciated. That helps to pay for the costs of keeping NLG online. Becoming a contributing member will also give you unlimited private message storage, otherwise it is limited to 10 pm's and you have to delete some to receive more pm's. And you get the ability to list items for sale in the Classified Ads forum. So a lot of active members find that making a contribution is very worth it. But even for members that don't make a donation they still get helpful advice, that doesn't change. For more info about how to donate you can look at the NLG home page for the announcement there, or scroll down near the bottom part of every NLG webpage.

This place below often has manuals that are helpful and hard to find elsewhere:

http://www.coinslots.com/manuals/bally/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:13:05 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jtbrown1111

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »
Everything seems to be functioning correctly now with the exception of the battery ....   I will change that out this week do I  don't have further problems related to it...

Huge appreciation to everyone in the group that has helped with this machine ....   here are the final problems that solves it ...

1)   $8.50 of quarters stuck in powersupply on solder side of the board ....  this was shorting out every time I powered it on ....
2)   No coin set for comparitor ........  added that and all is good ...

Next is to build a programing board .....      but I'm content plunking quarters for now .........

Thanks ...

Joel

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
People never seem to learn that you must empty the coins or remove the hoppers when you transport a game on its back. Your only asking for trouble.  :burningresistor:
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
Everything seems to be functioning correctly now with the exception of the battery ....   I will change that out this week do I  don't have further problems related to it...

Huge appreciation to everyone in the group that has helped with this machine ....   here are the final problems that solves it ...

1)   $8.50 of quarters stuck in powersupply on solder side of the board ....  this was shorting out every time I powered it on ....
2)   No coin set for comparitor ........  added that and all is good ...

Next is to build a programing board .....      but I'm content plunking quarters for now .........

Thanks ...

Joel
I sell those keyboards for $60.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »
.....Everything seems to be functioning correctly now with the exception of the battery ....   I will change that out this week do I don't have further problems related to it...
Joel

Sounds good, glad it is working well.  They are a lot of fun to have around.
Let us know if you have any questions or problems that you need help with.

I came across the images below doing a google search, I think they pertain to the keypad programmer for the Bally 5000:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:36:09 PM by rokgpsman »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal