New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally E-1000 eproms  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Catalinafan

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Catalinafan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally E-1000 eproms
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
Hi all.  I am currently working on a Bally E1213-5 machine, 3 reel, 5 coin, 5 payline. Solved many connection issues and lubed the reel assembly. I could not get machine to boot. I placed the eproms in my GQ-4X and found M3 to be bad (blank). Begins my issue of what rom do I need? The labels are faded completely out except for M-7 which reads "507981, E1213-5, 6-12-81".  So I'm swinging in the dark here with what rom I need and where to find it. Been looking for a reference for model to rom chart but no luck. Any help would be really appreciated.

Issue 2....  I used donor boards from one of my other machines for testing other items (hopper, lights, etc.) With donor boards installed the machine will light up, coin up, handle release engages, reel reader lights turn on but when I pull the handle the reels spin to a slow stop. I get no tilt, no error code, just nothing. Only way to proceed is to reset from hopper. I ran test 5 and I see no activity from reel readers.

Actions taken...  Tested all 3 reel readers (found a few light sensors bad and replaced).  Tested reel reader board, and swapped one from working machine. Tested kicker switches on left end of reel assembly and both show good. It's like there's no connection at all from reel readers to boards but I'm lost why it doesn't show error code.

Again any help will be great.  Thanks :banghead:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:48:07 PM by rokgpsman »
Take it all I've had too much for too long
(Al Bundy)

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: E1000 eproms
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
Are you saying you have tested these boards is a different machine and they all worked? I would start by looking at the wiring at  the two molex plugs that connect the reels to the cabinet wiring. I have had bad pins, and broken wires found there. I have also found broken wires in the back right corner of the cabinet behind the handle gear box.. The air cylinders metal linkage will reach to that back corner when the handles fully pulled.. I would also try swapping out the kick and arm switches, plus make sure the lever of those switches stay on the cam.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
Re: E1000 eproms
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Yes i have checked plugs behind reels and replaced a few pins on various plugs (p1 p2 etc)  power supply is good the switches stay on the cam. I can activate either switch on the cam and still get no tilt. The switches show good with the test.  To verify .I have several of these machines to use donor parts from that are all working 100% Starting to look like a harness issue. Hate the thought of swapping that but if needed i will.  Main thing is finding the correct eproms.
(Al Bundy)

Offline MarkInAz

• Reputation Power: 4
  • MarkInAz New User has no influence.
  • It's always something
Re: Bally E-1000 eproms
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 06:53:53 PM »
Did you get you M-3 issue figured out Catalinafan or are you still looking for help?

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
m3 issue
depending on the board you have e1000 the standard m1 m2 m3 are 43 44 45 Unless you have beauplug connections for the reel mech and you would need 12 13 14 (there was an engineering change for reel speed issues requiring adding jump wires - i forget the wires) but can research if I find time) if you have molex reel connections this sometimes applies as well   There are upgrades to the "standard" as i indicated but not the m3 -  you cannot mix E1000 and E2000 eproms other than the game prom which will work on either board. i can send the bin file but you need a bipolar prom burner 82s123 i believe is the blank you need    SORRY  wrong eprom - disregard
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:40:54 PM by GOS »

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »
The reel assembly has only beau plugs on rear.
My programmer is a GX-4X and I have backed up and replaced several e1000 and e2000 eproms. Sorry i'm not quite educated enough as the eprom i need. The ones on the board are mbm2716.
As the bins that would be great I really appreciate the help.

(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:09:30 PM »
I don't think the GQ-4X eprom programmer will work with bipolar proms like the 82s123.

http://www.mcumall.com/store/list.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:36:32 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Again learning every day but what is that particular eprom for?
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »
Bipolar PROM

A Bipolar PROM (obsolete now) is a non-volatile memory which usually contains small amount of data and has faster access speed than other non-volatile memories. “BIPOLAR" stands for the transistor technology used in the manufacturing process. Immunity to solar radiations made Bipolar PROMs popular in space programs, but they are also commonly seen in electronics like vintage arcade games. BPROMS are one-time programmable chips (OTP) and hence the data programmed can never be erased.

Programming a BPROM requires high voltage and a high current pulse to program; therefore most low cost programmers do not support BPROM chips. When you program a bipolar prom you actually burn open a fusible link inside the chip, this is a permanent change and is how the device gets its 1's and 0's programmed. This is old-school and where the term "burning a chip" comes from.

I don't know what it is specifically used for on the Bally E-1000 and E-2000 mpu boards.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »
I see. Thanks for info.
So i need to use the 82s123 in place of the mbm2716's at M1,2,3 ?
This part im confused on.
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »
I think GOS edited his post about the 82s123 chip, so reread it. I did twice and still don't know what he is saying.  :garfield:

The chips on your board that start with "m" are all eproms I think. So your GQ-4X should be able to work with them ok but might need the external power adapter. A lot of the older style eproms like 2716 needed higher power so the USB power connection to the GQ-4X may not be hefty enough. Check the owners manual on the GQ-4X, it mentions about the external power adapter.

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:05:21 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up .I was kinda lost lol.
All good everyone makes mistakes.
Couldn't imagine where i'd be without nlg!
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 09:10:31 PM »
There's a slot repair tech here that works on these older machines and their boards all the time. I think he has a good collection of eprom software. So you could probably send your board to him for repair, or maybe order the eprom chips that you need already programmed. Send NLG member "Badbaud" a message and see if he can help you out if GOS isn't able to send you the files that you need.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=profile;u=511

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 11:58:13 PM »
Looking at the drawings for the mpu board AS-2978-7 it looks like rom chips M1, M2 and M3 are all 2716 type eproms. P1 and P2 are also 2716. There is a note on the drawing that says P2 can be a 2732 in some instances, there are a couple of jumpers to allow this. The 82s123 chip is an address bus decoder chip located at U17, not something you'd have to program or replace unless it failed.

The other mpu board AS-2978-3 is similar but the circuit board designators (Uxx numbers) are different.

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 07:37:49 AM »
Thank you all for the help. It looks like i may have a bad u29 or u25 or possibly both. Machine switched on it kinda goes nuts .Buzzers and solenoids do what they want and it blew the hopper fuse. After fuse blown repowering machine i see a 2 or a 3 in display then it starts rapidly scrolling through nunbers. 
Was looking into the conversion kit for the 82s123 to 27512 or 2716 to replace then as my gq-4x won't read itf i' m understandind right i can use these adapters to
1- read an 82s123 with my qg-4x
2- seperate adapter to burn and peplace bad 82s123
Am i thinking correctly? These adapters look like at the least they will allow me to verify a dead 82s123
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »
What adapters are you talking about? Are they the adapters sold for the GQ-4X, or adapters shown here on NLG to allow an eprom to be used in place of the 82s123?

Have you considered sending your mpu board to KLAR, they will do the repair, and they often have older chips in their shop that have been saved from scrapped boards. So they may have the needed M chips and the 82s123 chip. Does your machine require that particular game software that is in there, or could another set of roms be installed?

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 07:45:06 AM »
Adapters to replace 82s123 with eprom
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
If it's the adapter I'm thinking of it is so you can install an eprom on the mpu board in place of the 82s123 chip. Is there more than one adapter, and one of them allows the 82s123 to be read by eprom programmer?

I think what gets done is you use an eprom programmer that is compatible with the 82s123. You get an 82s123 from a good board and read it, save contents to a binary file. Or someone provides the 82s123 bin file to you. Then burn that file to an eprom, which can be done with the GQ-4X since it will work with the eprom. Then install the adapter board with eprom onto the mpu board needing repair. The adapter is a way to repair an mpu by using an eprom when you can't get an 82s123 chip.

If your 82s123 chip is bad you wouldn't want to read or copy it.

I haven't read the adapter article/discussion in a long time. Did you find it here on NLG?

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »
Seen it a few places.  The eproms i have had go bad have all shown blank on my gq-4x. Was thinking this would let me know the same.
Heres a link to one i seen.

http://www.arcade-cabinets.com/board_hacks/82S123-to-27512/
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
If your 82s123 chip is bad how will you get its binary contents so you can program a replacement 2716 eprom?

Seems odd that all of the eproms from your mpu are reading bad on your GQ-4X. I suspect something is not setup right maybe?? Also, did you see my comment earlier about how the GQ-4X usually needs an external power adapter when burning old-style eproms that typically use more milliamps than the USB port can provide? Your standard GQ-4X setup gets its power from the USB connection and that power connection is limited on most USB ports.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal