New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Super Continental odds motor gets hot  (Read 661 times)

Offline Kaimaani888

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kaimaani888 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally Super Continental odds motor gets hot
« on: July 26, 2020, 11:14:51 AM »
I recently imported a Super Continental from the US. It's the model that doesn't have a hopper and you only win credits.

I was able to get it working but I found out that the odds motor gets really hot after playing for only few minutes. I measured the coil and it was 4,8 ohms. Tried running it with an adjustable transformer and at 40 VAC it draws around 1 amp and stays reasonably cool after running it continuously for few minutes. When I set the transformer at 50 VAC (around the same as it would be in the cabinet) it draws around 1,5 amps and gets really hot really fast.

Pulling it apart and cleaning it didn't seem to have any effect. I don't think the gearbox is jammed because it runs smoothly and the only thing that gets hot is the coil. Any tips on what I should do? I have no clue if 4,8 ohms is good or bad nor if the motor is even the right one

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 172
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
Re: Bally Super Continental odds motor gets hot
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
the odds motor on my 929 is 3.6 ohms and 30RPM.

two things:

1] the odds motor should not be running continuously.   It should only run during credit mode payout and jackpot/hand pay reset using the key

2] if your power is 50Hz, your V/Hz ratio will be off assuming the motor is a 60Hz motor.  The motor was designed for 50/60 = 0.833.  If you are on 50Hz, then around 42V will maintain the same ratio and not over-saturate the magnetic field and make more heat.  Your RPM will also be lower at 50Hz, but nothing you can do about that and it won't bother anything.  Payout is just a little slower. 

what is the full model number on the plate below the handle (891-something or just 891)?

Offline Kaimaani888

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
Thanks for replying!

My model plate says 891 sc-66. I was running the motor continuously on my work bench to see how hot it gets after running it and if changing the voltage has any effect.

Our mains voltage is 230v @50 here in Finland so I guess it gets hot because of the frequenzy difference. Is there something I can do or do I have to source a 50hz motor?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:31:54 PM »
there's usually two lines of numbers on the plate.  The top is the model number, and the bottom is the serial number - which may also have the model number in it.

you don't need to do anything about the motor.   In normal use, it only runs during a payout, so while it may get hotter than when running at 60Hz, it's not going to hurt it for the length of time it's running.

according to the bally 1100 manual (look in http://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/bally_manuals/), there's only one part number for the motor - E-119-376B

in the same manual, other games like the 883 and 902 had different part numbers for 50Hz and 60Hz motors.

one thing to check is see if the motor winding has three terminals.  If it does, one is common and the other two are for 60Hz and 50Hz.  Connect to the 50Hz one.

do you have a schematic for the game?  I think all the 891 schems I have are for games with hoppers or hoppers+credits.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:22:25 PM by wolftalk »

Offline Kaimaani888

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I used one schematic for the model with a hopper because I couldn't find anything else. The coil didn't have 3 terminals, only 2. When I got the game working, I was playing it normally using credits and cheating to check if it pays credits properly after winning. It got so hot that the air around it was waving and I could smell it. That made me question whether it's shorted or something. Kinda made me feel like it's a fire hazard.

The motor rotates those cams one full rotation when I press the credit button one the right, so the motor has to work alot when playing off credits. One friend suggested to put an inductor to limit the current or maybe I could use a fan and/or put somekind of a heat sink thingy.

Thanks alot for taking time answering my questions. It's my first slot machine and we have never imported EM stuff from the states so these kinds of problems are new to me. Although I have worked on EM stuff before.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
after running it on the bench continuously, did you burn off anything that may have been sprayed on there previously and it's no longer smoking?

obviously, if the varnish insulation is burning, that's a problem, but usually the coil wire can survive even getting red hot for a short time.

since your mains voltage is in between the two configurations for the transformer, did you go with the 240V config?    That should help a little.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal