New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: My Dual Backplane Project - 50x and Enhanced Motherboards in One S2000  (Read 1894 times)

Offline DB26

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
I have a question. If I wanted to make an S2000 that would take both the 50x MPUs and enhanced MPUs by adding dual backplanes, would that be possible? I’m imagining taking another backplane harness, piggy backing (Splicing into) off the existing harness, and adding an enhanced backplane right next to the 50x. Then you could plug a 50x in if I you’d like, or pull that one out and slide in a 1270 next to it.

This would be for testing purposes only.

I imagine it might work as the unused backplane shouldn’t cause any short circuits or anything as long as there isn’t an MPU in it right? I would think pulling the fuses on the enhanced backplane when not in use would also help isolate it from the circuit.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 09:27:42 PM by DB26 »
-Robert

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 244
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Hypothetically Speaking....Dual Backplanes?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »
Why?  That's what legacy adapter boards are for.

Offline DB26

• DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 01:17:21 PM »
Why?  That's what legacy adapter boards are for.

I plan on trying to repair some 50x boards as well as some 1270s. Would be nice to not have to change the backplane out.
-Robert

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »
After Receiving some encouraging information from a fellow member I think I’m going to attempt to add in the second backplane.

Thinking about putting it where the hopper goes.

-Robert

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »
Progress update. I have changed the location of the backplane and board location since I have a tray assembly installed from an upright Game King. Thank you RB. Wiring is to be done next.

Here is my video:

http://youtu.be/bxyt_iSUwK4
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:30:28 AM by shortrackskater »
-Robert

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 05:34:52 AM »
I have actually been planning to do this to both my game king and s2000 test chassis.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »
I have actually been planning to do this to both my game king and s2000 test chassis.

Awesome. This one is going well so far.
-Robert

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »

Are you just basically making y cables for all the harnesses?
Im actually considering taking the top box off my game king chassis and extending a reel harness to a set of reels mounted on its top. My game king test chassis is one of the early ones that had a handle. That or buying some extrusion and just making a rack to mount all the insides in.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 01:23:30 PM »

Are you just basically making y cables for all the harnesses?

Exactly! I have a second complete S2000 harness and I just purchased all the molex connectors last night.
-Robert

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »
Update:

I have 90% of the wiring and hardware installed. I’m just waiting on ONE type of connector that mouser and DigiKey were out of. It is on backorder and I should have it in hand by mid-July. It is the reel harness backplane female connector.

I tested the 1270 in the machine and it boots up correctly. It was telling me reels disconnected of course. So pretty soon I’ll have a fully functioning S2000 capable of taking 50x and 1270 boards. Cool!

I am going to try to put a hopper in there as well. Gonna have to cut it up to fit but it should work.
-Robert

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
Still waiting on the molex for the reels harness, but here is a shot of the setup. Looks a little like a rats nest at the moment but once I complete the reels splitter, I will zip tie things up and away.

-Robert

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »
Started building mine today. 3 motherboards and a monitor bolted on the top. This machine will only be used for stress testing boards after they are repaired.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »
Very cool! I love it. Looks like it will be a good workhorse.
-Robert

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »
Hopefully. Im not using the bill acceptor handle or top box. This allows me to use bridge harness between the motherboards cutting down on cables. The Netflex and senet harness both carry the 13 and 24v and grounds so i only need to wire power to one motherboard. The difficult parts are going to be the reels and the monitor

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 06:21:23 PM »
Here is a photo of the hopper I modified to fit.

Still no reels molex connectors. I need to make a call to digikey and see what the deal is. Was supposed to be in stock by now.
-Robert

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »
That’s actually really cool. I have a bill acceptor test station so I didn’t need to keep my acceptor.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 07:46:16 AM »
DigiKey still has not shipped my reel connectors, they should be out by next week. I guess they had a delay getting them from the molex factory.

In the meantime, here is the reel splitter I have made. Just waiting on the connectors to finish it up.
-Robert

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 08:52:32 AM »
DigiKey still has not shipped my reel connectors, they should be out by next week. I guess they had a delay getting them from the molex factory.

In the meantime, here is the reel splitter I have made. Just waiting on the connectors to finish it up.

A lot of parts and supplies are extremely difficult or impossible to get right now.

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 11:51:23 PM »
I finally made some forward progress on the dual backplane project this evening. It took 4 months for me to finally receive my reel harness molex connectors. And it took a month for me to finally get around to soldering the splitter. I’ve attached a few photos of how it looks. I tested it in the machine and the reels still operate so thumbs up there!

Last thing I need to do it make a female to female reel connector for the 1270 board. I have that harness ready to be soldered. I just ran out of time/energy this evening. Once I do that I’ll be able to have it running a 50x board and then switch to a 1270 instantly. I’m excited!

I’ll post a video when I’m all done showing how quickly it will be to change over from one MPU type to the other.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:40:43 PM by DB26 »
-Robert

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2021, 05:08:09 PM »
I have finished the project! Here is a video demonstration. Thanks for your help everyone! I have included a few photos of the finished female to female reel connector too.

https://youtu.be/kiFuHFe9hmc
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 09:30:49 AM by shortrackskater »
-Robert

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal